Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What hosting do you have or like to use?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Fiodora

Fiodora

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:08 AM

What hosting do you have or like to use?
- dedicated servers
- virtual hosting
- another (please post your answer at this thread)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:37 AM

Well Bleeping Computer is hosted at Thorn Communications in NYC. We have a great colo and team managing the dedicated servers. If anyone wants pricing on hosting or dedicated server, you can PM me and I will discuss it with you.

Others may have different suggestions.

#3 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:59 AM

Hello,

I definitly prefer using a local company. I tried a few online host in the past for my personal websites, and had bad experiences. A lot of it was just my own piece of mind. I never really felt comfortable not bieng able to communicate face to face with a real live human.

Luckily, there is a great locally owned and operated company about 2 miles from my house, which I think aids in speedy data transfer. It might cost me a little more , but I know exactly what is going on, and contribute to the local economy as well.

I have one short story that at least in my mind backs up my opinion of using a local service. I pay my bill 6 months at a time, and I forgot all about it, because at the time, my neighborhood had some identity theft issues, and my mail had actually been stolen.

Anyhow, I didn't send them in the normal 6 month payment for just over 3 months, and they never did shut my service off or even call and harass me. They casually sent me a bill, and even worked with me on the payment.

When I decided that I wasn't going to use the hosting services of a particular online service, they did not hesitate to cut it off at midnight of the final day........

but, I know people that have had no problem with virtual providers, so I guess it is all about what makes you comfortable, as well as having the right services.

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:38 AM

I have used use Dynamic DNS to host pages from my computer. I used NO-I.com. It is strictly a low volume option. I have 768Kbps upload bandwigth. If you only have 20 to 30 hits a day you should be fine.
By the way the basic service is free.
Two sites that you will need if you try this is

http://www.dslwebserver.com/
http://www.portforward.com/
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:37 AM

Be carefull if you want to host a website from your house... Alot of cable companies have it specifically written in the TOS (Terms of Service) that you are not aloud to run any kind of server...

I still do it, but my teamspeak server doesn't take alot of bandwich and my sit e only get's a maximum of 20hits in a few days but still... if I get caught no more cable high speed for me :thumbsup: I will have to go DSL :flowers:

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:01 AM

I am NOT advocating a work around. If you TOS restricts you from running a server, then DO NOT violate your TOS. I used it because I did not want to $5\mo for a static IP address.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 arcxotek

arcxotek

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 02:52 PM

Two of my friends both use Mediacatch and a third friend used to use it but switched to something else because he wanted a server closer to his house. I've had full ftp and control panel access to all 3 of my friends sites and I couldn't really complain too much about the service provided when compared to what they were paying. You also get benefits such as free extra space and bandwidth after staying with them for a certain period of time. (Like every 3 or 6 months I think.) Personally I am going to be getting my webhosting from Blue Host Almost every review I've read about them has been good So it's either a conspiracy or they must really be a good webhost.

#8 nyiddle

nyiddle

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:09 AM

HA!
My hosting is all the way across the state from where I live. The hosting for my site (http://www.admhosting.net) offers really nice prices for what I want, 99999 subdomains is a hardc0re perk for me. They're in Seattle and I'm in New Jersey, so we're really far away, but it seems like they're kind of a small business, and their prices are really, REALLY fair (in my opinion).
$6 a month with 100mb storage. I'm mostly going to use it lest so it can be visited, but moreso because I need a place to keep things so I can upload in bulk as oppose to uploading to Gmail (10mb each upload takes a while).

Posted Image

#9 firefighter17103

firefighter17103

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:03 AM

i know that this thead is old but i am using Hostmonster.com they give you everything you may need for $6/mo incl 300GB disk space, 3TB Transfer, unlimited email, free domain name forever, cpanel 11...if you are in need of one i would highly recomend it

#10 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:24 AM

I use Heart Internet (http://www.heart-internet.co.uk)
They have a good free hosting package, w/o tech support, and their paid for packages are reasonable as well. (Virtual hosts)
I manage a couple of sites hosted there. If anyone's interested, they also do dedicated\managed servers.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#11 deanpcmad

deanpcmad

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:43 PM

Hi!

You can host your own website instead of paying for hosting costs!

Here are a few tutorials:
http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/hostmyown.html
http://www.tizag.com/webhost/host_yourself.php
And many many more: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...bsite&meta=

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

deanpcmad

#12 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:12 PM

If you want free hosting:
1. Get any free web hosting www.free-webhosts.com (x10Hosting)
2. Get an almost top level domain www.dot.tk or www.freedomain.co.nr

There is also somewhere you can get a free .com domain for 1 banner at the top (only for a good reason) but I can't remember where that was.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users