Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer lights up just from being plugged in

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Drex150

Drex150

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:21 PM

Hey guys,

I have an issue that has totally stumped me. I've never seen it before, so hopefully someone here will be able to give me some advice.

So what is happening is that as soon as the power plug is plugged in to the PSU, the computer lights up and the fans turn on like the computer is starting. This is before even trying to touch the power button.

The computer is completely unresponsive at this point, I can't turn it off with the power button, I can't turn it on with the power button, the monitor does not detect the computer being turned on at all.

I personally think the power supply is at fault here, but I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions. The computer is really old now, probably something like 10 years. The only reason I am trying to save it is because my mom wants some pictures off it and also she likes using a program that is really old and doesn't work on windows 7. We have another computer, so I may just try to take the hard drive from this one and get the files off, then figure out some way to run the program on windows 7. For now though, I really just want to try to save the current computer if possible.

What I have done:

Checked all plugs inside the computer, made sure they were clean and firmly plugged in.

Cleaned the computer of dust.

Tried another outlet.

Tried another power cable in another outlet.

None of this has worked. The computer lights up but remains unresponsive. Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm leaning toward just getting a new PSU and seeing if it'll help. It's only $20 for a 250 watt PSU, which is what this little computer uses.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:38 PM

It sounds like a short somewhere. If it's just the files you want putting the hdd in a different computer would be the easiest route.

Edited by KingdomSeeker, 24 December 2014 - 04:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users