Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost process causes lots of downloads

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:53 PM

This was first posted in another forum:

I was instructed in that post to post here & copy/paste the DDS logs.
PLEASE NOTE:   I tried pasting the DDS logs. But I was NOT able to post the new topic. When I clicked on Post, even after 5 mins, nothing was posted. SO instead I have attached the logs. I apologize if this complicates the analysis.

System: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit;  ASUS K52F laptop

I had some time in the past posted a similar question to this post but never received a good answer. So I am trying again.

Occasionally there is a svchost process that when initiated causes a lot of downloads. See the attached for the services called for this process. I would like to determine why these downloads are occurring. My goal, if possible, is to reduce or eliminate these downloads. So my question is:  How do I determine which software is initiating this svchost process to run? Or am I asking the wrong question?

Note:  Windows Update service is set to manual; Where possible, I have configured all installed software to not automatically install or even check for updates (I do these checks manually every week).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:10 PM

You already have a reply here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/560899/svchost-call-causing-lots-of-download-malware/

Please continue with your helper in the linked topic.

No need to keep reposting. You're probably getting a time out error but your logs have been posting. Other duplicates have been deleted. I am closing this topic to avoid confusion for everyone.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users