Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop overheating when not on!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 oldschoollen

oldschoollen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:34 PM

Hello everyone,

Happy Holidays.  Got a bit of a problem with the old laptop here.

Basically, the screen won't turn on if the temperature inside the room is too warm. That goes for both regular boots, and returning from sleep. Also, if the screen goes off due to the 15 minute power saver option (in a warm room), it will not turn back on. I must stress, this ONLY happens if the heat is on inside the room I am using the laptop in. If I keep the laptop in a cool room, this problem does not occur. If I have the laptop completely off for a full day, and try to turn it on in a heated room, the screen won't go on. 

I have Core Temp on the PC, and the laptop seems to be running at an acceptable temperature. I also cleaned out the fan/heat sink area. But it doesn't seem like that would be the main issue, as the laptop apparently overheats even before it's on.

Conventional wisdom says get a new laptop, or keep the heat off.. But if this problem sounds like something that can be remedied with a part replacement, I'd prefer to do that. Perhaps the video card needs to be replaced?

By the way, this is a Lenovo laptop from about 9 years ago.

Thank you very much for your input,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 10:23 AM

Hello,

First of all - can you mention exact temperatures ? (Both for the laptop and room temperature)
Does this occur with the adapter plugged in or on battery power? Do you notice any other malfunctions, such as short battery life or freezing?
First you can try with another adapter. Also - check the temperatures in BIOS as this is the most accurate reading you will get. You may also want to put new CPU heatsink paste, but other than that - there are no obvious solutions to your problem. If the problem persists with other adapter, battery and normal CPU and GPU temperatures - than most likely there is a fault with the power distribution on the motherboard. 

Hope that was helpful, Citizen_WD
Have a merry christmas and happy holidays
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOQZK70Krc8

Edited by Citizen_WD, 25 December 2014 - 10:25 AM.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 10:27 AM

With it being a 9 year old laptop it's due for some TLC. It's beginning to overheat due to fan failure, or it's packed with dust. It just needs some general maintenance on the cpu/gpu heatsink/fan manifold assembly. A fresh coating of some thermal compound etc on the cpu and gpu & lube the fan bearing with some machine oil. Some of that dust over time gets packed in the grills and canned air isn't powerful enough to knock it out. You have to scrub it out with a hard bristle tooth brush. Also on the fan blades. Sometimes it's even worse than that and the metal heatink you gota strip it down and wash it in soap and water.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users