Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Javaw.exe Error Msg.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 limolady

limolady

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:48 AM

getting this error msg. on start up. details within msg. indicate MOD:JVM.DLL it's messing up all kinds of things like internet no longer opens properly; right click on mouse button affected, etc. HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:11 AM

Have you installed any software lately, such as HP printer software by chance?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 limolady

limolady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:22 PM

yes, al, as a matter of fact i think this problem started right after downloading The Weather Channel Desktop! i have tried to uninstall it but was only partially successful. can you help me? it may also have something to do with McAfee. can't remember the sequence of events but i gathered from some info on screen that i needed to suspend their 'privacy service'. unfortunately, i screwed it up. i uninstalled everything but that. it's a mess.

Edited by limolady, 20 June 2006 - 04:28 PM.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:42 PM

You could always try Uninstall Plus! It is a program that is available on a trial basis HERE. I use it regularly and like it. Not only will it start a specific program's uninstaller, but then it will search the registry for any traces of the deleted program.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:56 PM

Just uninstalling the problem program may not restore the changes it made to your system.

If you know exactly when you installed it, use Windows System Restore to revert your system to a system state that existed before the installation.

Start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

Unless you have disabled it, the wizard should open offering you several restore points - by default one before you installed the problem program.
Select that or a previous available point and follow the onscreen directions.

Edited by Enthusiast, 20 June 2006 - 05:58 PM.

#6 limolady

limolady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:03 PM

i did try the windows system restore but it only gave me 1 choice, the day before, which was not far enough back to remedy the problem. is it possible i have disabled it and don't know it. how would i enable it again? just to double check, i just now went to system restore but it only let's me go back to the 16th which is the same day it gave me before. i believe i need to restore to the 13th. thanks for your assistance thus far.

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:34 PM

From the FAQ page for desktop weather.

http://www.weather.com/services/desktop_install_faq.html#14

14. I seem to be unable to uninstall Desktop Weather from my computer. What can I do?

This is a known issue with the product, and will be resolved in a forthcoming release. Copying the UNWISE.EXE from the Framework folder to the Desktop Weather folder will resolve this issue. The steps are as followed:

1. Go to Start, Programs, Accessories, Windows Explorer.
2. In the left scroll window of Windows Explorer click the + next to My Computer, then click on the + next to C: drive to expand the view.
3. Scroll down that menu until you find the Program Files Folder.
4. Double click on the Program Files folder to expand the view.
5. Scroll down that menu to The Weather Channel FW folder and double click on it to expand the view.
6. Double click on the Framework folder to display the contents.
7. Right mouse click on the icon that says "UNWISE.EXE" on the pop-up menu click on COPY.
8. Go to the tool bar on the window and click the Back button.
9. In that window right mouse click on the "Desktop Weather" folder and in the pop-up menu click on PASTE.

From that point you will be able to proceed as normal with the uninstall.

#8 limolady

limolady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:47 AM

once i successfully uninstall, will the other problems go away?

#9 limolady

limolady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:57 AM

it looks like i have successfully deleted The Weather Channel crap. now...how do i make the JAVAW.EXE issue disappear?

#10 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:55 AM

Well, it seems to me that the issue is either with Java itself, or a program that is calling for Java but it is failing to launch properly for some reason. Therefore we can try resintalling Java, and if that does not fix the issue then we must search for the program that is having trouble launching Java.

It would easiest to reinstall Java, so let's do that first:
  • Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
  • Search in the list for all previous installed versions of Java. (J2SE Runtime Environment.... )
    It might have this icon next to it: Posted Image
    Select it and click Remove.
  • Download and install the newest version from HERE.
Reboot your computer and see if the issue persists.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#11 limolady

limolady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:18 AM

ok...i've removed Java and reinstalled it from your link (thank you so much). still getting original Javaw.exe error msg on startup.

new twist in the scenario....today i'm having Road Runner installed so i'm online all the time. is this going to cause more problems or will i have to wait and see?

i really appreciate the help all of you have offered me. i'm not completely computer illiterate but the industry changed faster than i could keep up. thanks to everyone. and don't give up on me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users