Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need help.how do I block my router to not access lol servers

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bosidex

bosidex

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:37 PM

Hi im wondering if I can block my router to not access lol servers anymore my brother is on that game 24/7 and is quiting school just to play this game he changed so much since he played and its not a good change I really want to help him and block my router access to lol servers I currently dont have access to a computer but soon I will and it will be windows 7 thats why im posting here.i do have access to a mac and a android phone.major thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:24 PM

To my knowledge the best way to do this is to add the domains to your hosts file. These are sites that Windows is instructed not to allow access to. This link has a lot of information and a zip you can download to get started. http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm. You can then add the sites you want blocked manually to the provided list by using the instructions on that page. When you run the file make sure you click "run as administrator."

Edited by KingdomSeeker, 24 December 2014 - 04:25 PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:52 PM

The HOSTS file will work but it can easily be overwritten. Depending on your router, you can set restrictions there. Here is a guide but it is generic. What is the make and model of your router. You should be able to get the manual on their site. Depending on the router, you can also set a schedule on when the internet is active or not. With a password on the router, your brother would not be able to overided the restrictions.

#4 bosidex

bosidex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:11 PM

Thx for the help but I preferr a staff member to post here bcuz of legit and stuffs

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:18 PM

bosidex, A staff member will advise the same thing non-staff does.

Had JohnC_21 not replied I would have suggested blocking it at the router level.

There are more non-staff than staff. We simply don't have the time to monitor every post. We depend on members to help, which they do to the best of their ability.

What "legit and stuffs" are you concerned about?

I applaud your efforts to help your brother. However, if he is so addicted to the game(s) be aware that he may not see it as "helping". To him, it will be interfering with his "entertainment". His reaction most likely will not be nice. Be prepared for any fall-out that will ensue.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 24 December 2014 - 07:28 PM.

#6 bosidex

bosidex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:29 PM

Alright.but the problem im having is that he is connected to a game server not a weblink and I dont knowhow to stop him connecting to lol servers I just need the ip the the lol servers so I can block them.sorry for the noobish questions

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:57 PM

Instead of blocking the server addresses that are many, close the ports lol needs to run. This info may not be up to date.

http://www.confignotes.com/2013/12/blocking-league-of-legends-lol/

Here are a list of ports to block from lol's support page. Look under the Port Forwarding section. Block those ports. This page was dated Nov 2014

https://support.riotgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/201752664-Troubleshooting-Connection-Issues#jwq7

Don't block these ports though.

80 TCP (HTTP Connections)

443 TCP (HTTPS Connections)

You may want to talk to your brother before you do this and explain your concern over his addiction to the game.

#8 bosidex

bosidex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 12:03 AM

Thanks for giving me the ports now can u tell me how to actually block the ports with a mac.really sorry I put this in the wrong section

#9 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 12:47 AM

Is your brother having Mac?
If you meant to configure the modem / router settings, regardless of operating system you use, log into your router via the IP address (default is 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1) using your browser and modify the settings.
I would suggest you to use some firewall / parenting software to control the machine access by your brother and limit his account to a normal user (and not administrator).
That way, he wont be able to circumvent most of your restrictions.
Is your brother having Mac?
If you meant to configure the modem / router settings, regardless of operating system you use, log into your router via the IP address (default is 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1) using your browser and modify the settings.
I would suggest you to use some firewall / parenting software to control the machine access by your brother and limit his account to a normal user (and not administrator).
That way, he wont be able to circumvent most of your restrictions.
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#10 bosidex

bosidex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 03:25 PM

No hes on a laptop windoes 7 and I just needed dirrections on how to block him using a mac.thanks
so this can be done with a android phone?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 06:12 PM

You are either going to have to block the ports using the Windows 7 firewall on his laptop, use parental software on his computer like K9 and set it with a password, or use the firewall in the router if you have that capability. Some routers will let you filter ports for a particular IP or MAC address. What is your routers make and model?

I don't think you can do this with a phone unless you log into your router remotely and use the phone to add filtering to the router.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 December 2014 - 06:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users