Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is 5 minutes bootup time too long?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:58 PM

Hi, my desktop PC takes almost 5 minutes to boot up from switching on until the working light on the case goes out, does that sound too long to you?

All I've got on the system is a lightweight flight sim game and Google Earth,plus a bunch of assorted documents and pictures, so I can't understand what's causing the delay.

(If I click to open something while the working light is still on, nothing happens for a while and it adds another minute to the bootup time)

PS- The specs are fairly good-

Intel Core2 Duo E8500@3.16GHz

RAM 4.0GB Dual-channel DDR2@400Mhz
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1024Mb 
Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Edited by hamluis, 14 January 2015 - 07:34 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to AII - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:11 PM

Yes; 5 minutes is excessive. I try to keep mine to working desktop in under 1 minute.

My bet is on start-up entries, anti-virus/malware boot scan, driver issues, failing hard drive or malware: Maybe a combination of all.

Edited by bludgard, 24 December 2014 - 02:13 PM.

#3 BitMonk

BitMonk

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:24 PM

Ha, Blugard got to you first but I agree.
Interestingly enough your specs are similar to mine. I built it for XP but Win 7 runs just fine, even my free Windows Server 2012 R2 I got from school, so anyway... I'd check what's happening on start up first. Do an msconfig and see what's all checked in the startup tab. Really though, I'd be concerned about some type of malware or even just PuPs. There's plenty of threads on general PC cleaning here. I think Malware bytes is always a safe one to download and run but I will gladly defer to those wiser than I for advice. I wouldn't have thought about a hard drive going bad.

As always, Your humble BitMonk

#4 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:39 PM

Beat me to it regarding MSconfig lol. I had a similar issue but my PC had a black screen for about 5 minutes when i logged in so i used MSconfig to disable pointless things linked to programs and it goes straight to the desktop now and it's a lot faster. Also, Hitman Pro is a good program to use also for viruses etc and it's free.

#5 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:17 PM

Please download and run a Speccy Report http://Download and run Speccy http://www.piriform.com/speccy and a minitoolbox report

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Thanks and Happy Holidays.

#6 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:10 AM

Thanks guys, first I'd better make sure I've got my AVG settings right, I've just posted to ask in this other thread and will wait for replies with baited breath- 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/561253/have-i-got-my-avg-settings-right/

Mod Edit:  Closed above link to avoid confusion.  Please...complete one topic totally at BC...before beginning another in a different BC forum where the same system is involved.  Thanks!! - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 28 December 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#7 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:45 AM

5mins is too long - my laptop's boot time is 3 seconds. (I use an SSHD though)

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:40 PM

MSConfig (System Configuration Utility) is a troubleshooting utility used to diagnose and fix system configuration issues. In the Summary section Microsoft says "The System Configuration utility helps you find problems with your Windows configuration. It does not manage the programs that run when Windows starts."

Although it works as a basic startup manager, msconfig should not be used routinely to disable auto-start programs. It is a temporary solution and not a good practice for the following reasons:
  • When uninstalling programs while disabled with msconfig, they may not be uninstalled properly and manually editing the registry will be required to remove everything.
  • Msconfig will often leave orphaned entries when software is uninstalled. When used to switch back to normal startup mode, these orphan entries can result in boot up errors.
  • Msconfig only allows you to disable entries. To completely remove an entry from its' list you have to edit the registry, or use a third-party tool like Msconfig Cleanup Utility or a startup manager.
  • Msconfig allows malware related items to hide in your registry which you may not see or affect your computer until switched back to normal startup mode. This could then result in reinfection of the computer.
  • Msconfig does not list all applications loaded in all possible startup locations (some entry points are hidden and unknown to the user).
A better alternative for disabling unnecessary startups is to use a free Startup Manager like one of the following:If you use CCleaner, it has a built-in Startup Manager under Tools > Startup. Revo Uninstaller Free includes a Startup Manager under Tools.

Most of these tools are stand-alone portable apps in a zip file so no installation is necessary. They will provide a list of programs that load when Windows starts. If you untick an entry it will no longer run at startup. This will allow you to experiment and see how your system performs with any of them disabled. Some startup programs are necessary so be careful what you disable.

You should not use msconfig to disable startup applications related to services. Doing so alters the registry and there are services that are essential for hardware and booting your system. When you uncheck a service in msconfig, you completely disable it. If you uncheck the wrong one, you may not be able to restart your computer. Changing the default settings for services can be risky and might prevent key services from running correctly. Only change the status of a service if it is necessary. You should only disable services using the Services Management Console (services.msc) where you cannot disable services that may be vital to boot your system.

The reason is because with msconfig and Hardware Profiles, you can disable services that may be vital to boot your system. With the management console (services.msc) you cannot. Also, msconfig, while unchecking the box, is disabling the service.

Windows 7 Why can't I use msconfig to change my services?

Black Viper's warning: Why can't I use msconfig to change my services in Windows?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:19 PM

I'm confused. My AVG topic in the 'Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware' forum has been closed down after only a few hours, just as some interesting replies were starting to come in.

Strictly speaking the topic went deeper than the simple boot-up question in this thread which is why I posted it over there in the proper forum.

Shall I re-post the 3 AVG option screens in this thread or what?

#10 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:20 PM

I'm confused. My AVG topic in the 'Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware' forum has been closed down after only a few hours, just as some interesting replies were starting to come in.
Strictly speaking the topic went deeper than the simple boot-up question in this thread which is why I posted it over there in the proper forum.
Shall I re-post the 3 AVG option screens in this thread or what?

It's best if you keep your issue in one thread.

You might want to re-read your closed topic for my answers on AVG.

Any other questions can be asked here.

#11 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:54 PM

....If you use CCleaner, it has a built-in Startup Manager under Tools > Startup....

Thanks, speaking of CCleaner, these are the default settings which I use, should I tick any more boxes or leave them blank?-

cc1_zps573e113f.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cc2_zpsc4e64660.jpg

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 28 December 2014 - 07:58 PM.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:10 PM

I typically leave all the default items checked except for cookies and Windows log files. I also select Options > Advanced and uncheck "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 24 hours"
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:33 PM

I would uncheck the default setting which disposes of dump files...unless you are going to be certain that you will never, ever have a problem that needs such to get a clue :).  I've not figured out why the developers of this tool think that dump files are useless.

Louis

#14 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:50 PM

Thanks guys, I seem to have made some headway and the bootup time has been halved to about 2 minutes which I think I can just about live with.

One last thing- as I mentioned, I only use AVG  and  run regular scans which always give me a comforting "nothing found" message, but perhaps there's still some clutter on my system undetected by AVG that's slowing things down?

Should I install an extra antivirus/anti malware program and run scans with it for extra insurance, or will it conflict with AVG in any way?

Can you recommend any free ones that I could give a whirl?

#15 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:06 PM

You can use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Both are good antimalware solutions and offer real-time protection if you upgrade to Premium.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users