Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Message "Boot Loader Missing"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:20 AM

I was playing around with a Livelinux CD and trying to implement a casper-rw savefile on a USB.  This has wiped my XP Home Edition and bootloader clean.  I am still using my LinuxMint install and not to concerned about recovering XP.  Also, before I realized that the bootloader was missing I reformatted the Windows partition.  I was just going to carry on with Linux, but now this is affecting what I can install on laptop.  I'm guessing that I will not be able to recover anything.  I was advised to make a recovery cd with: http://www.disk-partition.com/download-home.htm

l don't have a Windows pc to make a recovery cd right now, but if someone thinks it will help I will find a way.

The one thing I am not sure about?  Do I even need the bootloader?

And, could I just get a Linux bootloader to replace the XP bootloader.

It seems to be interfering with running some Linux OS's from my Optical drive.  Would also like to understand a little more about it, for instance: I still have the BIOS, but not the bootloader?  Does the BIOS come with the laptop and the Bootloader comes with the Windows OS?  Or is the BIOS just loaded to a different piece of hardware than the OS, so it was not wiped?

I also want to restructure my HDD with a couple of Linux OS's until I can afford to get another XP install disc.  And explore some more OS's from the Optical Drive. 

One of two things caused this, I did both so don't know which is the culprit:

1. I made a mistake during Linux bootup and typed in "casper-rw" instead of "persistence".  Or

2. I have two USB's that are of very similar color, and had the wrong one in during bootup when trying out this casper-rw savefile.  When I saw my error I shut-down and tried with the right one.

Thanks pcpunk, happy holidays

Edited by pcpunk, 24 December 2014 - 11:44 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:42 PM

Download Boot-Repair. Burn the iso and boot. Select Recommended Repair. Reboot and hopefully it repaired your Grub.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,612 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:31 PM

Thanks JohnC, that looks quite promising!  I will think it over for a bit as my Linux boots up fine and Grub is in tact.  I can even still chose WindowsXP but nothing is there of course.  Have you used this, and-or, do you have specific reason to believe it will help, re-install or fix the WindowsBootLoader?  I don't want to jump the gun and do more harm, I've already done enough for this week :hysterical: 

I am trying some stuff in hoping that the info will help someone to help me fix this.  I am on my backup LiveUSB LMM17 and it booted up fine and works great.  Again, as stated-I was having some issues running Fatdog700 from a Disc.  But, Tahrpup ran from CD...so this might not be an issue, it could just be the FD700...which I burned twice and checked the md5sum.

Happy Holidays pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:04 PM

I have not but if I can remember correctly, there was a person who deleted linux and could not get windows to boot so they used the Boot-Repair iso and was able to fix it. From your post I was not sure if you could boot to linux or not. If you still can you may want to not try the Boot-Repair but from what I have read about it, it works.

Edit: Here is the thread where it was used successfully.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 December 2014 - 05:08 PM.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,612 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 05:34 PM

I don't think I need the bootloader any more right?  I don't have XP any more and that is part of XP right?  Then what about the BOIS is that totally separate, or is that loaded with XP also but just did not get wiped?

Okay, looked it up, BIOS is separate from OS, comes with and lives on pc, not installed with the OS, good to know.

Edited by pcpunk, 25 December 2014 - 05:41 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users