Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB ports stop working.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 flickdog93

flickdog93

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:41 AM

So I have a Toshiba Satellite P745-S4217 running Windows 8.1 x64 and for some reason the two USB 2.0 ports on the left side will stop registering if I leave something plugged into them when I shut down the laptop. I know how to get them working again; I uninstall the ports in device manager and then select "scan for hardware changes" which will find the ports and set them up again. It'll even set up whatever is plugged into the port after it scans.

My question is why do the ports show up with errors in device manager every single time I shut down my laptop if there was/were something/things plugged into those ports? From my understanding this doesn't affect the USB 3.0 port.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:19 AM

This link has a USB troubleshooter that can find and fix some USB issues. Worth a try. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/tips-for-solving-problems-with-usb-devices.

#3 flickdog93

flickdog93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:40 PM

That fix-it module doesn't work on Windows 8.1. I think it only works for Windows 7. I tried it and it said it was incompatible.

#4 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:59 PM

Have you tried safe mode?

#5 PhantomZwei

PhantomZwei

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:39 PM

I've seen usb 3.0 ports not work without the proper driver installed but not 2.0. It looks like on Toshiba's website they do have a 3.0 driver. I'd at least try installing that and then the Chipset driver next.

http://support.toshiba.com/support/driversResults?freeText=3025538

Did they just randomly stop working? or was it around a time that windows maybe did some updates? or even a program was installed?  You can always do a system restore to see if that helps.
If its none of the above its always possible its hardware related.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 10:50 AM

The Selective Suspend will power down a USB port if it thinks that the device which is plugged in isn't active.  Repeatedly plugging in and removing a USB device can cause this as well.

There are a couple of things you can try.  

Open the Device Manager and right click or tap on the top icon (Computer), this will have the name of the computer next to it.  When the two options open click on Scan for hardware changes.

Try a different port.

There is one other option, but this involves a registry edit.  If you aren't aware of the dangers of making a registry edit, you need to be aware that if you make a mistake while making an edit you can damage the registry and your computer may not start.  In this case you will usually need to reinstall the operating system.  If you are familiar with editing the registry and feel comfortable editing it, you can disable the Selective Suspend to resolve this issue.  If you want to do this, let me know and I will post instructions for the edit.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users