Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 and USB problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 august22

august22

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:25 AM

I have four computers all with win 7 on them. I just installed win 7 on a a used machine i bought.

I also have a 1tb Western Digital element, external usb drive. When i plug the 1TB drive in the

newest computer it is not recognized in any way and says "the device attached has developed

a problem. When i look at the device manager i see one usb device with a yellow splotch on it.

The 1TB drive is not listed.I tried to update the driver with the yellow splotch on it but it comes

back and says my driver is the latest. I went to my computer/manage/disk management but the

1tb drive is not listed at all. At this point i believe its a usb controller problem but dont really know.

I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:08 AM

Run this fixit with the drive attached and see if it finds anything.

#3 august22

august22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:26 AM

Thanks JohnC_21 for answering. I don't know what happened but when I turned the computer on and let it

boot up, it was fixed. The the 1TB drive and it drivers all loaded.

Thanks Again.

#4 august22

august22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 03:40 PM

Today is Dec 25-2014. It has reverted on me and it doesn't recognize my 1TB drive again.
I ran the fixit program and it didn't find anything wrong. Help again please.
Dan

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 03:44 PM

Does the USB port you have the 1TB drive attached to detect other USB devices like flash drives?

#6 august22

august22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 04:08 PM

Yes. I plugged a 16GB usb stick in and it worked very fast.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 04:23 PM

Try the 1TB drive in another USB port of the computer. Do you have another USB cable to attach to the 1TB drive?

Download USBdeview and delete any Vendor Specific Driver for USB devices that have been previously attached (shows as not connected) other than the mouse and keyboard. Then reboot the computer and attach the drive. See if it is detected. There is the possiblity the driver of another USB device is conflicting with the drive.

#8 august22

august22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 06:12 PM

its doing eratic things. I moved the 1tb drive to a usb port on the back of the computer
and the usb mouse went off.I rebooted and the 1tb drive wouldn't show. I down loaded USBview
and it began to show the 1tb drive . I moved the usb mouse to the front of the computer. At
the present moment its working properly. Heres what I have showing on USBDeview.
802.11 WLAN Adaptor
Elements 107 (1TB drive)
USB keyboard
Usb Mouse
Theres 4 other entries. 2-ports and 2 that are some kind of HID devices.
Is there something else I can do?

Edited by august22, 25 December 2014 - 06:15 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 06:22 PM

The first thing I would do is get any critical info off the 1TB drive and put it on your computer. I would connect the 1TB drive to the back of the computer only. Sometimes the front ports do not provide enough power.

You can also disable selective suspend on the USB ports and see if that helps. Another thing that may help is to get a powered USB hub and connect the drive to that.

#10 august22

august22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:33 AM

So You seem to think i have a drive problem?  I will disable  selective suspend on the usb ports.I will see if i can find a powered usb hub.

Thank You Very  Much For Your Help.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:58 AM

It's a possibility.  The element WD portables have the USB port soldered to the drive PCB so you can't simply pull the drive and put it in a new hard drive enclosure. That is why I recommend you get any critical data off the drive first. As I posted, the problem may be fixed by using a powered hub but I can't confirm that.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 December 2014 - 11:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users