Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update broken (80072EFE) after "installing" SP1, can't fix it


  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rskfx

rskfx

  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:03 AM

Hello everyone,

 

So I have been at this for a week and a half now and still no luck, although I somehow fixed it once it broke again. Anyway, I had used Windows Update to download Service Pack 1 since I need to use IE10 for a job, it is required for that company otherwise I'd stick with Chrome. I have tried so many different solutions a have gotten no results. I even tried today to update and repair the computer through the Windows 7 disc but I get told that windowsanytimeupgradeui is missing for update and repair tells me that it can't be done automatically. I know for sure that this is from the Service Pack 1 because I had done other updates with 0 problems, but both times I tried SP1 I got the same 80072EFE error, which occasionally switches to 80080005 for a bit. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. I have checked my connection, tried at a friends house, used Malwarebytes, Avast, HerdProject, Hijack This, Ccleaner, Easyclean, AdwCleaner, TDSS Killer, and various other programs to search for malware and viruses. One issue that kept showing up on Ccleaner was wuaucpl.cpl and the only "malware" that was found were cracks I'm using, except for a file called "custom.dll" that I have no idea exactly what it is for. In the Winsxs folder I have over a thousand files in there folder for files waiting to be renamed. One thing that was requested of me a few days ago on another forum was to use Rescue Disk, although I was not told whether to run it in Graphical, Text, or Hard Disk mode. I need to figure out how I can completely remove this update so that I can go through and repair any other damage and update.

 

I should mention that when I download the update it shows up as being downloaded in the download history part of Windows Update, but it doesn't show up anywhere else like the system information or remove programs/updates. Also, under the remove updates section there sometimes were ones that show up but when I highlight them it wouldn't show the uninstall option. Here is the other post I made with some people helping that can be referenced for the logs and stuff I posted, and if you need more information just ask. http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/355467-tried-install-service-pack-1-now-im-getting-various-errors.html


Edited by rskfx, 24 December 2014 - 01:03 AM.


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users