Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

samsung galaxy rush question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:53 PM

I don't know if this is an easy answer or not but I just have to ask... 
My wife has two cell phones... one is a simple pay as you go Net10 phone that we use for phone calls... the other is a samsung galaxy rush   android 4.0 ice cream sandwich....
This one is not used for phone calls... no monthly bills... she just uses it for the internet feature when wifi is available(couponing mostly :rolleyes: )

I am wondering if this thing has gps capabilities... and if so, is it something that needs to be connected to a wifi service or paid monthly service to be of any use?
Chances are it's not going to do what I want but it doesn't hurt to ask...

So, here's the long version of the inquiry... 
I need to find my property line on one side of the yard.  We've been here for 10+ years... 3 sides are easy to find because of other borders, other properties that is...  I have a neighbor that's renting and he keeps coming onto my property... he has cut a few dead trees from our yard.  I leave those up for woodpeckers and other animals.  He doesn't know where the property line is... not sure he cares but I need to have some way to show him.
I contacted someone that surveys land.  I TRIED to explain that, the two corners on that side are already marked well...  I just need someone to place some markers in between...  that line is 660 feet long through a lot of trees so you can't see from one spot to the other.
This guy called and left a message saying he could survey the yard "for a firm price of $800".  What?  That's not what I need... a whole survey OR a price that high.
I have contacted the local college that happens to have a construction management dept...  I think I'll be waiting til after Christmas break before I hear back though.

I am thinking that if I had a handheld gps unit of some sort, I could go to the two spots that are clearly marked, and then find a way to mark spots on a fairly straight line between the two.  I don't have a handheld gps unit.  I may see if anyone I know has one I could borrow... but, I figured I'd try and see if this phone could do anything like that at all.  I'm kind of doubting it... 
She "misplaced" it.  It's likely lost in the van...  so I don't have it in front of me to play with and see what it can do.
Thought I'd ask here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:17 PM

Long story short. With Wi-Fi only access the galaxy rush isn't going to be able to help you. Even if you had actual GPS connectivity your degree of accuracy would be roughly +/-30ft. Which for legal property line identification is not nearly accurate enough.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 01:41 PM

bummer...  well thanks.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 06:07 PM

You're welcome. Sorry I didn't have better news.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Jelfff

Jelfff

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:24 PM

Maybe a good time to upgrade your phone.

In my area Craig's List has plenty of people selling used iPhone 4s.

Asking price is often $100 - $120 range

The iPhone 4s is the first model that can receive data from both the USA GPS satellites and the Russian GPS satellites (GLONASS).  More satellites = more data = better accuracy.  If you operate this feature correctly the accuracy is about 15 feet.

You might try a google search.  Maybe something like: smartphone property lines

#6 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:27 PM

someone really joined this site just to suggest I buy a new phone?  Really?

I personally don't own my own cell phone and don't want one.  The samsung that I'm referring to is my wife's and she uses it to play games and to do couponing stuff.  I mentioned that already.
We can't afford and do not need a newer phone... and if accuracy is 15 feet, it's still not good enough to do what I'm looking for.
And for $100 and up, I can buy a handheld gps unit.  I'm not sure how accurate those are but, figuring out my property line is the only thing I'm worried about right now.
Anyway... 
I'll figure something out eventually.  Hopefully in a couple weeks or less, someone will get back to me from the college. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users