Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot run system restore.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 nu2this

nu2this

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:23 PM

Hello, I have an old laptop running XP sp2, just have it hanging around as a backup but it was running slow so decided to try a tune up. Downloaded Autoruns and Ccleaner. With Autoruns I unchecked all the yellow items saying "file not found" and did a registry clean up with Ccleaner.I saw what I thought were unwanted entries in the registry, highlighted them and clicked delete. This prompted a warning that said "This will remove the uninstall entry from the registry.It will not uninstall the appication. Do you wish to proceed"? I thought that's OK after all I'm not really uninstalling the App so I said yes and pressed OK. After that I noticed the computer was running slower than before. I went back to Autoruns and rechecked all previously unchecked items and restarted the laptop. There was an improvement in as much as the laptop seemed to now run like it did before my "tuneup". I had a nagging feeling though I had done something wrong so decided to do a system restore to a time before I did any downloading of these two tools. The system restore failed! It won't go back in time. The laptop runs fine but it won't restore properly. I'd like to have this capability though. Does it sound as though I have messed up the registry? If so, can I fix it? Any Ideas? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:50 PM

When doing a registry clean with CCleaner, it gives you the option to save a backup of the items ( usually placed in My Documents) that were removed. Did you allow it to do a backup?

#3 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:10 PM

Unfortunately I didn't. Wish I had.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,308 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:50 PM

Do you use avast antivirus?

#5 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:47 AM

No I don't. I have AVG.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,308 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:56 AM

Turn off System Restore to all drives checked then turn it back on for only the C:\ drive. Are you able to do a System Restore? If you cannot do a System Restore then do a re-install in an admin account.

#7 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:06 PM

JohnC,

Thanks for your quick responses. I really appreciate your help. Unfortunately I have to leave for a few days for a holidays gathering and will not be in front of my laptop. When I return I will do the above actions and re-post.

Thank you and happy holidays.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,606 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:00 PM

There are various reasons for System Restore to lose functionality to include side affects of a malware infection which can disable that feature so you may need to do some troubleshooting. One of the first steps to try if System Restore is not working, is to check to make sure it is started and set to automatic.

To enable (start) a service, press the WINKEY + R keys on the keyboard or click the Start Orb > Run...,
and in the Open dialog box, type: services.msc
Click OK or press Enter.

Alternativey, click the Start Orb and in the Search Box, type: the same command (services.msc) as you would enter in the Run Open dialog box...then click on it in the list of displayed results.

In Windows XP, press the WINKEY + R keys on the keyboard or click StartBtn.gif > Run..., and in the Open dialog box, type: services.msc
Click OK or press Enter.

Alternatively, click on StartBtn.gif > Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Administrative Tools and double-click on the Services option. If prompted by the User Access Control, click the Continue button.

• The Services Management Console will open.
  • Scroll down the list to locate the System Restore Service and double-click it.
  • Click the "Start" button, then set the startup type in the dropdown box to "Automatic".
  • Press Apply > Ok, then reboot and try using it again.

If it's still not working, repeat the steps to run services.msc again and open the Services Management Console.

• Locate the System Restore Service and double-click it.
  • Click the "Stop" button, then set the startup type in the dropdown box to "Disabled".
  • Press Apply > Ok, then reboot.
  • Open My Computer or Windows Explorer, go to Tools > Folder Options > View and check "Show hidden files and Folders", UNcheck "Hide Protected operating system Files (recommended)" and hit Apply > OK.
  • Check the "System Volume Information folder" on each drive and delete its contents (doing this removes all existing restore points).
  • Then reverse the steps where you disabled the service and restart it: Click "Start" and set the startup type in the dropdown box to "Automatic".

* Troubleshooting steps for issues when you try to use the System Restore tool in Windows XP
* System Restore Knowledge Base articles & Troubleshooting
* How to reinstall System Restore

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:13 PM

JohnC

Have just returned and after reading Bleepin Janitors input thought that maybe his suggestion would not require a reinstall as per your approach. Perhaps I will have to go that way in the end however as I am having some difficulty with his approach as well. It's probably that I am not very computer literate and when a warning states this action might make my windows inoperable I get cold feet!

Bleepin janitor,

Had to go thru all of the steps and got to to this point in your instructions.

Open My Computer or Windows Explorer, go to Tools > Folder Options > View and check "Show hidden files and Folders", UNcheck "Hide Protected operating system Files (recommended)" and hit Apply > OK.

I did this and saw this message "These files are required to start and run windows. Deleting or editing them  can make your computer inoperable.

I chickened out at this stage, thought I might foul the laptop up. Is it save to ignore this warning?

Thanks to both!!

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,308 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:30 PM

That's a normal warning. When you unhide the system files, you will see the System Volume Information folder. Open those folders and delete the contents. Then you can hide the system files again. You may have a problem opening System Volume Information even when you unhide it though. I have an XP computer and when I double click System Volume Information even in an admin account, it says Access Denied. I will have to confirm if I can open it with the Administrator Account in Safe Mode.

Edit: I can confirm you cannot open System Volume Information even in the Administrator account that appears in Safe Mode. The owner of the folder is System. You would need to add the administrators group under the Security Tab which I would not recommend if  you are not comfortable doing it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 December 2014 - 08:43 PM.

#11 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:44 PM

That's a normal warning. When you unhide the system files, you will see the System Volume Information folder. Open those folders and delete the contents. Then you can hide the system files again. You may have a problem opening System Volume Information even when you unhide it though. I have an XP computer and when I double click System Volume Information even in an admin account, it says Access Denied. I will have to confirm if I can open it with the Administrator Account in Safe Mode.

Edit: I can confirm you cannot open System Volume Information even in the Administrator account that appears in Safe Mode. The owner of the folder is System. You would need to add the administrators group under the Security Tab which I would not recommend if  you are not comfortable doing it.

Thanks for researching this. I don't think I am knowledgeable enough to undertake this so------------since the laptop is working OK I think I will let it go. In retrospect I should have done a registry backup when I used Ccleaner, I must have messed up the registry. The good thing is I really don't use this laptop that much since it is so old. I wanted to see if I could speed it up though and practice with CCleaner before using that program on my newer Win7 desktop. My desktop is giving me fits with what I think is adware and  am deluged with popups and adchoices etc. That is why I wanted to practice first with the laptop. I will start a new thread to get some feed back to solve these issues. A valuable lesson has been learned the hard way I'm afraid.

Thanks to you both for your help.

Edited by nu2this, 27 December 2014 - 07:45 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,308 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:50 PM

Your Welcome,

Registy cleaners and optimizers are snake oil IMHO.  Yes, I would start a thread in the "Am I Infected" forum for your other issues.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,606 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:01 PM

...I have an XP computer and when I double click System Volume Information even in an admin account, it says Access Denied. I will have to confirm if I can open it with the Administrator Account in Safe Mode.

SVI-access-denied.png

Gaining access is not to difficult.

How to Access the System Volume Information folder in XP Home or Pro
How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
About Recycler and System Volume Information Folder in Windows

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,606 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:04 PM

Registy cleaners and optimizers are snake oil IMHO.

Agreed. In fact....Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users