Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WDB Files - Need to access old files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jnewell

jnewell

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:00 PM

Hi all,

I used Microsoft Works to make an address database. I have the files on 3.5 Floppy and on hard drive. Also have the old hard drive from the original PC with the works program on it. Comes up as E: via a harddrive to USB converter on my old laptop. The original Program Disks for Works won't load onto my old laptop ( Win XP SP3). I haven't tried with my newer laptop (Win 8.1).

I've looked online for conversion programs but haven't been able to find anything useful although there are plenty of empty promises. Also I find I can't load Java (8) onto my XP SP3 laptop as it says that I need a higher version of Windows. One alleged conversion program is a Java application and requires Java.

Can anyone suggest a way of getting Works Data Base files into a format that will load into OpenOffice?  This pretty much means into any other format.

I have tried writing my own program in a BASIC language thinking that if I read in a section of data I can string slice it to keep the stuff I want, but this doesn't seem to be possible.

Help please ... John.  PS Merry Christmas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:39 PM

You can download the latest Java version 7 here. I have it on my XP SP3 computer.

Download and install the offline version

Windows x86 Offline  28.09 MB

Is this the converter you were talking about?

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 December 2014 - 07:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users