Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Disable Chkdsk?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 laurent

laurent

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:19 AM

I had set CHKDSK to run at boot time and now runs into this problem:
- CHKDSK stops during step 4 (checking file data) and never terminates, it just hangs there.
- CHKDSK doesn't give me any option to stop it before it starts
- I tried to boot in Safe Mode but it started to list some .sys files and stopped there.

Is there a way to disable CHKDSK during boot before it starts?
Thanks
--laurent

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:36 AM

Chkdsk appears on every boot (From PC Review)
1. Click on the Start menu and open the run dialog.
2. Type "cmd" and return (without quotes)
3. Next type "fsutil dirty query <letter of drive that ckdsk keeps checking>" (for example, C:)
4. If the returned message indicates that the volume is dirty, go to step 5
5. Next type "chkdsk <drive letter> /f /x"
6. After that finishes, repeat step 3.
7. If the volume is no longer dirty, reboot and chkdsk should not reappear.

From Fred Langa
The "fsutil dirty query" reports the current state of the flag.
"Chkdsk /f" forces Chkdsk to run whether or not the flag is dirty--- it's a way to ensure that errors are fixed, regardless of what the flag says.
"Chkdsk /x" goes a little further and helps ensure that any files that were left open get closed; it actually implies "/f" so you don't need the /f if you're using /x .
With either /f or /x, at the end of the run, Chkdsk should set the flag to clean, and that's the point of Steve's suggestion: To force Chkdsk to run, to correct any problems, and to properly set the flag to clean.
The only problem I see with the PCReview method is that, when you try to run Chkdsk inside Windows, you'll usually get the message: "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?" If you answer Yes, the drive's flag is set to dirty so the OS will know to run Chkdsk on reboot.
But if the flag is what's messed up--- if the flag is the source of the Chkdsk problem--- then relying on the flag to solve the problem may not work.
That's why I'd originally suggested more direct methods, such as using the Recovery Console, or by using the info in "The OS Inside The OS" at http://www.informationweek.com/story/showA...cleID=187000225 . You can then *manually* run Chkdsk /f or Chkdsk /x from inside the Recovery Console--- even multiple times, if you wish--- to ensure that errors that were reported as fixed really were fixed. This method also works regardless of the state of the clean/dirty flag.

Try the information here:
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showA...cleID=187000225

Edited by Enthusiast, 20 June 2006 - 08:37 AM.

#3 laurent

laurent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. However my problem is that I can't boot the PC at all since CHKDSK doesn't terminate. So I am looking for a way to disable CHKDSK during the boot process itself.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:57 AM

Hi laurent.
Reboot your system and press F8. Select the "Last Known Good' from the boot menu.
That should bypass autochk.
chkdsk is loaded from the reg and can be changed once you get into windows.

#5 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:36 AM

Hello,

If you are comfortable with merging a file into the registry, here is a .reg file that should do the trick.

To disable checkdisk by merging a .reg file:

1. Open Notepad. Click Start --> Run --> type notepad --> press Enter or click OK

2. Copy and Paste the following code into the open instance of Notepad.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
"AutoChkTimeOut"=dword:0000000

"BootExecute"=hex(7):61,00,75,00,74,00,6f,00,63,00,68,00,65,00,63,00,6b,00,20,\
00,61,00,75,00,74,00,6f,00,63,00,68,00,6b,00,20,00,2a,00,00,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"SFCScan"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\cleanuppath]
@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,63,00,6c,00,\
65,00,61,00,6e,00,6d,00,67,00,72,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,20,00,2f,00,44,\

3. Click File --> Save As... --> change Save as type: to All Files --> name the file disablecheckdisk.reg --> Save the file to your Desktop.

4. If still open, close the file. Now find the disablecheckdisk.reg file you saved to your Desktop, and Double-Click it.

5. A box labled Registry Editor will appear and ask if you want to add the information to the registry. If you do, Click Yes.

To enable checkdisk by merging a .reg file: (Optional)

If you decide you need to re-enable checkdisk quickly, follow the steps from above, but make a new .reg file named enablecheckdisk.reg, with the following Copied and Pasted into Notepad:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"SFCScan"=dword:0000001

"AutoChkTimeOut"=dword:0000000a

Remember, this makes changes to the registry, so I recommend creating a system restore point before proceeding.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#6 laurent

laurent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:47 AM

Thanks a lot for your help. Using the "Last Known Good' from the boot menu did the trick.

What do you recommend to do now to check/repair my drive since CHKDSK hangs while verifying file data?

--Laurent

#7 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:06 AM

Hi again laurent.
Click Start>Run. Either type or copy and paste the command on the next line and click ok:
chkntfs /x c:
This changes the BootExecute value in the registry location [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager] to prevent chkdsk from auto running at the next startup. If you have multiple drives or partitions, you'll need to change the drive letter at the end of the command for each.
If I were you I would get your important files backed up first.
Afterwards, run through Enthusiast's post.

Edited by HitSquad, 21 June 2006 - 08:09 AM.

#8 RichieP

RichieP

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:33 PM

I've just had the same chkdsk loop problem. When ti first starts it should say to press any key to stop it. It then boots into Windows.

My problem is a faulty hard drive. Download a utility from the drive's manufacturers website to check your hard drive isn't about to fail. Then back up pretty darn quick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users