Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Live Linux on USB, no Wi Fi

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mrag

mrag

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:07 PM

My old and little 10" eMachine Win7 netbook seemingly boots fine to a live Xubuntu (14.04.1) on a USB stick. EXCEPT there is no connection to the outside world. I note there is a slide button with a little green light on the netbook for connecting to a wi-fi network. This is on by default when booting to the Win 7 mother system. It does not function when I boot into Xubuntu-the green light never comes on. The few times I've used Ubuntu on other desktop systems, it seems to find wi-fi networks that I can connect to. This time, there is nothing. I've tried 'editing' a new wi fi connection, but that doesn't seem to get me anywhere. My assumption is I need that green light on before I mess up the next step ;-)  Appreciate any suggestions. TIA.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:26 PM

Xubuntu (14.04.1) and Ubuntu are not really the same ( Under the bonnet they are ) I had the same issue when I tried Xubuntu, Try  Lubuntu

lubuntu | lightweight, fast, easier

Or better yet try Linux Mint

Xfce (32-bit)

#3 mrag

mrag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:40 PM

I tried Ubuntu and Lubuntu and Mint. Same problem, they do not even see any wireless networks to connect to. My guess is it is my hardware as the "green" wi fi operating light never comes on when booting from a Live USB. The wireless connection is automatic and fine in Windows. I do not see or know a way to access that wi fi 'light.'

Edited by mrag, 24 December 2014 - 01:49 PM.

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:01 PM

Hi mrag,

Can you post the model number of your eMachine? More than likely your particular wifi card is not initially supported with the Debian Linux distros. Not all to surprising for older hardware. I have an Dell E6400 and Ubuntu 14.04 hates the wifi card. Most of the time you can download Linux drivers for your card directly, but that is pretty advanced. Sometimes there will be a package out there you can download via the repositories that will work, but again will need to know your model number. Actually better yet, if you can boot into the live cd and open a terminal, then run this command

lspci | grep "wireless"

and tell us what you get. That should tell you the exact make and model of your wireless card.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#5 mrag

mrag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:26 PM

I tried the command, but got no where. I also tried USB booting to a Toshiba laptop to verify the install only to find my Boot choices are limited to CD/DVD, HDD1/SSD1, FDD and LAN (why no USB?). In any event, here is what I did find:

eMachine eM250 V1.23  (250-1162)  MFG Date 0911

I also used Belarc to grab the attached that might help. 

crap.jpg

#6 K6567

K6567

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:14 PM

The problem your having is not untypical of computer using older Broadcom network adapters. It's my belief you need legacy drivers. I've run into this problem on a few occasions. Broadcom drivers are included in the Software Manager or can be downloaded (if you can connect via ethernet or dongle) sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer.

If you must download from another computer you can get the tarball from Broadcom.

http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php                                   

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,299 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:19 PM

Sorry to butt in, I'm making note here, I am not experienced, but just looked up some info. for you, hope it helps.  I will also ask some questions for the more experienced.

You can go to this website for some info. and use this command lspci -v and you will see all the info. you need.  I tried it, it worked.  Then you can look it up to see if it is supported, which it would appear-it is not:  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported

And this very good tutorial, it is a link from the first page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WirelessTroubleshootingProcedure 

Question: Aren't we trying to confirm the "Network Controller"?  And, for the OP...on my pc it is at the bottom of the list.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users