Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot stuck on an empty blue safemode/ recovry screen (hard drive error)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Hilgaj

Hilgaj

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:38 PM

My computer showed a BSOD and then restarted. After restarting my manufacturer logo, Dell, came up and there was an empty black screen after. The fans were roaring at this point. I turned it off turned it back on and this time after a couple of second it said "Windows loading files" and it jumped to the blue backdrop you find at the log-in screen. It looks like its in safemode, and is probably trying to access the recovery menu. I don't know what to do now. I know for sure its a hard drive error because I ran Dell's Pre-Boot System Assesment and it could not scan the hard drive. So i googled the code it gave me "Error Code 2000-0142 Msg:Hard Drive 0... Driver Self Test failed. Status byte =79."

Here are the tools I may have at my disposal( if they work):

• Recovery disk CD's-possibly out of order and scratched
  • ​External Hard Drive Backup: But I dropped it and it sounds like there are loose pieces in it. It may have built in recovery features.

What can I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:56 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Your hard drive has failed. The only solution now would be to send it to a professional data recovery service (expensive) if the data is crucial or using software like Easeus Data Recovery to scan the drive. You would need to attach the drive to another computer using an external enclosure or USB adapter. I would not trust the External drive if it sounds like loose pieces in it. The software solution may not work as Dell could not even run the diagnostic before it threw the 2000-0142 code.

#3 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:34 AM

Hello,

Is your HDD making any clicking noises? Are you able to enter BIOS and see the drive there?
The advice @JohnC_21 is correct and I might also suggest to run Linux Live CD, as it is a popular way to recover lost partitions on drive.  If you are able to access your files at any point it is best to backup them on a secure external device.  If, however, your HDD has suffered a more serious failure than, indeed the safest way to go is data recovery.  

I hope your problem will be solved soon.  Have a merry christmas and happy holidays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOQZK70Krc8

Citizen_WD

Edited by Citizen_WD, 24 December 2014 - 05:35 AM.

#4 Hilgaj

Hilgaj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:36 PM

Is your HDD making any clicking noises? Are you able to enter BIOS and see the drive there?

No, noises. I  was using recuva to try to recova and old pdf file. The program froze I stopped it. Then after a minute or two a blue screen and my HDD apperantly died. I wil look up instructions on the disk your suggestions.

#5 Hilgaj

Hilgaj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:52 PM

​I tried an external HD. It says "Kernel panic - not syncing :VFS Unable to mount root fs on unkown-block"

​My computer batter is supposedly almost dying. Should I just buy a new comp? Would it be safe to pawn off everything except the hard drive?

I have insurance on it, but I do my taxes and such so I am not sure if they will let me remove the hard drive.

Should I just buy a new HD? It is $60 new.

Edited by Hilgaj, 02 January 2015 - 08:01 PM.

#6 Hilgaj

Hilgaj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:16 PM

If I buy a new hard drive can I use my external backup to make a mirror of my old system? I will have my old programs and will not have to buy the OS again?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:34 PM

If you do not have backup disks you would need to call Dell and ask if they would supply you with a new OS disk.The cost is usually about $20. You would still need to purchase a new drive.  You can get good ones for about $50. If you do decide to pawn the computer, take out the drive. How old is the computer? If it is over 4 years and you can afford a new one, I would go that route.

It also looks like your External is going bad. Is this the one with the sound of loose pieces in it?  I would do a hard drive test on the external drive. You can use Seatools for Windows.

#8 Hilgaj

Hilgaj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:57 AM

If you do not have backup disks you would need to call Dell and ask if they would supply you with a new OS disk.The cost is usually about $20. You would still need to purchase a new drive.  You can get good ones for about $50. If you do decide to pawn the computer, take out the drive. How old is the computer? If it is over 4 years and you can afford a new one, I would go that route.

It also looks like your External is going bad. Is this the one with the sound of loose pieces in it?  I would do a hard drive test on the external drive. You can use Seatools for Windows.

So you think the external is broken too? It loaded up and attempted to fix my computers hard drive at boot before giving me that error I pasted above, along with two other lines.

​The only thing I could probably pawn of from my laptop is the  motherboard for maybe $150 with the i5 processor included. The pc has flimsy trims that fell off, rubber legs that fell etc.  I will probably buy a new one debating wether getting a an exact same HD new from amazon at $50, get a compatible 1 TB Drive for the same price, or buy a cheaper used drive if I can find one under $50. Will probably research used drives first, most information is about wether or not they work mechanically, but I am also worried about any possible malware or viruses on the drive.

Thanks for the help John.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:11 AM

I am not sure but I would run the short and long tests on the external to confirm it. I would never buy a used drive IMNO. Too many variables and no warranty. Get the biggest new drive with a warranty you can afford.

Did you get anywhere with Dell and new disks?

Edit: I would download Puppy linux. Burn the iso file and boot the disk. It runs in RAM and off the disk. If that boots to a desktop and you can access the internet I would say your computer is still in good shape and it may be worth getting a new drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 January 2015 - 09:25 AM.

#10 Hilgaj

Hilgaj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:19 PM

​I haven't been able to yet. By the way how safe is easeus? I would assume its safe, but how are they making money of this free software? It makes me suspicuos.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:25 PM

If you are talking about Easeus Data Recover, it is free to recovery the first 1GB to see if the files are not corrupted. After that you would need to purchase a key. They do this so you can determine if it's worth it to recover the rest of the files. Another person on the Forum had good results using it.

There are other tools that are free like PhotoRec but it is a little more difficult to use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users