Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Finding and Reading Data Off a Broken Seagate Nas Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ratball

ratball

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:09 PM

Hi, not sure if this is the right forum for this post so please move to correct forum if I posted here in error.

I have a Seagate Business Storage 1-bay Nas with a 3TB drive.  Like most people online are reporting, the Nas unit itself fails and the power button does not turn it off, the lights in the front stay on like it is frozen.  Anyway, the device is no longer accessible over the network.

I opened the unit and removed the drive (which is still good) to get my data off before I send it back to Seagate to get a warranty exchange (which I will list on eBay as I no longer trust this unit) since I know they will not return my same drive or they will wipe it.

I know the data is stored in a Linux type file system.  I downloaded a few tools to read the drive but this is where I get stuck.

Please see pictures below but I am able to access all 5 or 6 drive partitions but I can not find my data!  I had able 600-700 gigs on the drive but it just seems to be gone.  Below are pictures of the file system and partitions.  Can anyone help me locate this data or did the unit get hacked and someone deleted all the data?  By the way, I am the only person with login access to this device and it is in my house.  I did have it setup for online file access over the internet but never actually used that feature.

Here is a link to the gallery of screen shots

http://postimg.org/gallery/u9oke9p6/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:47 PM

Post in the Linux also  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/11/linux-unix/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,433 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:49 PM

Look at the thread here. You can get your files recovered using R-linux. If the windows version does not work, use the linux version.

#4 ratball

ratball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:38 PM

@ JohnC_21

Thanks for the advice!  I downloaded that program and the first thing I noticed is that it could not scan the drive because of some bad sectors.  I ran the included SMART test and it showed "caution"!  There were reallocation errors and some other errors.  The types of errors I would assume come from the disk trying to write info and the power being pulled? 

Anyway, I have the full version of HDD Rengenerator.  Would you suggest running this to try to fix the errors on the disk?  I'm just lost when it comes to Linux file system stuff and I don't want to damage (or cause more damage) to the info on the disk.

Let me know you opinion.  Thanks!

#5 ratball

ratball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:40 PM

By the way....

Would windows chkdsk work on a Linux formatted drive?  I'm afraid to try in case that might lose my data for good!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,433 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:11 PM

I would not run HDDRegenerator on it. It may stress the drive more and by your post, I would say the drive is failing. reallocation errors are not good. I am not sure how you will get the data off unless you go to a professional data recovery service. Chkdsk will not work on a linux file system.

You could download and run a Live Ubuntu USB flash drive with the ability to safe and install files called persistence. Then install R-linux for linux. Download R-linux for linux  right click the file select install. For Ubuntu you would need to download the Debian version.

Initially you can download this live linux disk. Burn the iso and boot to the desktop. The File Manager may be able to mount the drive and let you see your data where Windoes failed. If not then I would try using a live version of Ubuntu on USB as noted above. Parted Magic also has a Disk Health icon on the desktop where you can confirm if the drive has failed by running the short test.

As OldPhil suggested, I would post a new thread in the linux forum and reference this thread. There are people with more linux experience than me there that could help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users