Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

(urgent) laptop charger block makes loud noise when plugged in

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bosidex

bosidex

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:09 PM

here are my specs

http://www.cnet.com/products/gateway-p-7805u-fx-edition/specs/

but i have windows 7 on here

the charger im using i bought from a store 

the charger has the option to change your volts and stuff i keep my at 19 volts but i dont know if thats the correct voltage for my computer also it gets extremely hot when i charge my computer while gamming on my computer 

the model of my charger block is      lphc-90

theres also a logo on it that says case logic

i need to get this problem solved immediately 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:27 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

For the benefit of any one else who sees this, what sort of noise is it ?  A one off noise when you plug it in, a continuous buzzing noise in operation ? What ?

19V is about right for most laptops, but why don't you check with the manual as to the required supply voltage. The other aspect is the current requirement of your laptop charging circuit which should be printed on the base of your laptop or battery  housing. When you are gaming you are working your computer hard, therefore drawing maximum current.

What I am getting at here is that the charger unit should be rated at at least the same output voltage and current as the laptop requires as a supply. If the laptop is trying to draw more current than the charger can supply, the charger will get very hot. Check the current and voltage ratings.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 bosidex

bosidex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:29 PM

The noice is a vary load buzzing noise thats high pitched

and also when I pluged it in while just booting up or surfing the internet it makes that sound

and also I dont quite understand ur 3rd paragraph.i did not get my laptop from a store or website therefore I dident get the manual or a charger with it

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:09 PM

Gateway are fairly notorious for poor product support, however - I didn't look in detail - you may be bale to get the manual here, a free download -

https://www.manualowl.com/p/Gateway%20Computers/P7805u/Manual/5750

As for the other bit, let's put some numbers on it, purely as examples :

A laptop requires 19.0V at 5A maximum.

If the charger being using is rated at 19V and 5.5A it is operating within its design limits and should not make odd noises nor get extremely hot.

If the charger being using is rated at 19V and 4.5A it is trying to operate outside its limits, and you can expect it certainly to get hot. It may or may not make noises.

I do not like the idea of chargers making noises and getting very hot. I think your best, and safest, course of action is to invest in a new charger making sure first that its ratings are compatible with your laptop.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 bosidex

bosidex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:31 PM

Thanks for the help.but I had 3 diffrent chargers breaking due to heat one even exploded and melted but it was my fault since it ow on a blanket but with this charger I tried to keep it as cool as possible but it always gets hot so I think it might be a problem with my computer ill buy another charger and see if it breaks thank u so much for the link ill tell my frie ds about this forums

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users