Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is it safe to watch movies online?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 seraphin

seraphin

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:21 PM

Ok, my apology for wanting to post this question, which may be considered inappropriate for many different reasons - and yes, an apology by itself does not imply it's okay (or not) to watch movies online, certainly not justify any crime I might have committed -.

But I am simply interested in/worried about cybersecurity.

Sony's cyberattack resulted in many of their movies inadvertently released online. One secruity expert was quoted saying (paraphrased here) - it's NOT SAFE to watch those movies online, as the longer you stay on one particular website, the more danger your computer will be exposed to.

To a computer user like me who knows nothing technical about security, this begs the question - is it unsafe to watch movies online despite the security setting (firewall, real-time anti-virus, real-time anti-malware etc). (dpes watching movies online mean running some video streaming program (in javascript?????) in the background of the internet browser ? ).

Any insight to share will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:32 PM

So this question can go a couple ways. Watching movies via a legal source is perfectly safe (e.g Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime etc.). These sites have good security (Amazon probably has some of the best) and you really don't have to worry much about it. The way the movies are transmitted and viewed can be attacked, like the Microsoft Silverlight that Netflix uses could have a security hole that won't be fixed til you update it on your end (as long as Microsoft fixed the issue). So as far legal sources go, its perfectly safe to watch movies and TV shows online.

Now if you are talking means that aren't so legal, where people have uploaded them on sketchy sites and you are viewing them. Yeah those aren't so safe. They like to put viruses right in the code of the website, or they like to automatically download something without you even saying you wanted to. So no, that method is not safe.

I am curious, do you know where you read that article with the security expert? I would like to take a gander at it. I am assuming he/she saying its not safe to watch them online is meaning the not so legal ways.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:29 AM

As DeimosChaos said, the legal sites are perfectly OK (although the BBC iPlayer won't work outside of the UK which is really annoying to a TV licence holder outside of the UK which is really annoying) but I wouldn't trust the illegal sites at all.

The other angle worth considering is that the illegal ones are exactly that: you could open yourself up to prosecution.  Although more likely than not, they'll go after the illegal sites rather than individuals.

On another (but pertinent) note, if you ever visit a site that says that you need to download a codec to view a video, do NOT do it.  The "codec" they want you to download will NOT be a codec; it will be malware.  Guaranteed.  No exceptions.  All the codecs you need should be included with your OS or media player (such as FLV).  It has not happened to me, but I've been involved enough in computer security to spot some of the danger signs.

You can get a 3rd party add-on for Windows Media Center called TunerFree MCE, home page here:

http://www.milliesoft.co.uk/

That enables you to watch TV through your computer

Edit: Correct an error

Edited by Angoid, 24 December 2014 - 05:32 AM.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:19 AM

... as the longer you stay on one particular website, the more danger your computer will be exposed to.

That is not correct. If you visit a website that tries to exploit your browser (or Flash, ...), it will do so from the start. Staying one minute on that site or one hour doesn't make a difference.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:34 AM

... as the longer you stay on one particular website, the more danger your computer will be exposed to.

That is not correct. If you visit a website that tries to exploit your browser (or Flash, ...), it will do so from the start. Staying one minute on that site or one hour doesn't make a difference.

Once its on your system its on there you will either have to remove it manually or use and anitimalware antivirus etc and yes legal sources are safe as the ones that aren't so leagal that say "please download this to watch your movie" that's when you know when to turn back but then again its your call

they call me te java mayster

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,481 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:15 AM

With large wide screen HDTV's being so popular (and relatively inexpensive) these days, why would anyone want to regularly watch movies on a computer?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:22 AM

I think for the most part we are talking about illegal streams. You can't watch them on HDTV.

#8 Bill1008

Bill1008

• Banned Spammer
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:45 PM

If you are afraid of being affected spyware or malicious applications from the site. You can watch the movies on safe and popular sites, like YouTube and Netflix. In addition, it would be better if there's a anti-virus program installed in your PC.

Moreover, it's the matter of the website but you if the movie is forbidden to play.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,481 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:39 PM

You can watch the movies on safe and popular sites, like YouTube

All social networking sites (MySpace, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc) can be a significant security risk which could make your computer susceptible to malware infection. I don't use any of these types of sites nor do I recommend family and friends use them.Using YouTube can be hazardous to your computer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,721 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:13 AM

Does a site being blocked by a court order, mean it's illegal to access it in that country?

I have noticed that projectfree.tv is blocked by my new ISP, and if I type the name of the site into my internet browser (not the search engine, because it's been excluded from their results), I get this page:

http://www.ukispcourtorders.co.uk/

Whereas it wasn't blocked by my previous ISP, TalkTalk, nor was it blocked by 3G mobile last time I checked.

(When I have used the site, I use a live Linux CD to browse it, a Firefox plug-in on my Linux CD to download streaming video rather than click on their download links, and an ad-blocker to save having to wade through myriads of ads to get to the play button on the videos).

Edited by Al1000, 15 January 2015 - 10:18 AM.

#11 riopelnet112

riopelnet112

• Banned
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:03 AM

They like to put viruses right in the code of the website, or they like to automatically download something without you even saying you wanted to. So no, that method is not safe.

#12 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,721 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:37 AM

What method are you referring to? Using a live Linux CD, any viruses that are automatically downloaded will be wiped from the computer's RAM when you shut down or reboot the computer, and I've never heard of a virus that can burn itself to a CD. :)

#13 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:31 PM

Any site you can go into without signing in(Netflix, Hulu, etc) that shows a movie for free that cost money else where is going to be unlawful IMO. Is it illegal? Depends on where you live and their laws but it will never be ethical IMO. This should fall under "no such thing as a free lunch". Most sites that do these unlawful things try to profit as much as possible from you going to their site. This may include intrusive ads, malware, or tracking cookies to sell your browsing history to advertisers. A few select sites may not have malware, but they still won't be legit and I still wouldn't suggest using them, so looking for them is pointless. At the very least, if you are going to break intellectual property law, do it in a way you have more control like a newsgroup feed. Torrents and http streaming is so 90's.  :grinner:

#14 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:44 PM

Any site you can go into without signing in(Netflix, Hulu, etc) that shows a movie for free that cost money else where is going to be unlawful IMO. Is it illegal? Depends on where you live and their laws but it will never be ethical IMO. This should fall under "no such thing as a free lunch". Most sites that do these unlawful things try to profit as much as possible from you going to their site. This may include intrusive ads, malware, or tracking cookies to sell your browsing history to advertisers. A few select sites may not have malware, but they still won't be legit and I still wouldn't suggest using them, so looking for them is pointless. At the very least, if you are going to break intellectual property law, do it in a way you have more control like a newsgroup feed. Torrents and http streaming is so 90's.  :grinner:

I believe it is about watching movies online, which includes subscription based services, like Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. They are a really good way to watch videos on multiple devices, which is a pain to do otherwise (ripping, encoding, and syncing, etc). 

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#15 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:57 PM

I believe it is about watching movies online, which includes subscription based services, like Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. 

I thought OP was about non subscription, non typical, methods of watching videos when they said " certainly not justify any crime I might have committed -." I think if they were talking about Netflix, they wouldn't be any question of crime. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users