Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Randomly getting BSODs at startup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 The Punisher

The Punisher

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:04 AM

Hello all,

Since yesterday I have been getting a BSOD at startup and it does not always happen. The BSOD stays for a second and then restarts so I cannot copy the error code. 

But this time the system started up it says it had a dump file for me and a error log. I cannot make sense of it and would appreciate it if someone would have a look at it. 

The laptop is in warranty but I would like to avoid sending it away for weeks just because of a probable software problem.

The files are uploaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4b8bvunlne26mm2/AABZvPSBWl2vzz4UoMZMjaIHa?dl=0

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:26 AM

May be an easy solution:

Uninstall wireless device driver (not software) via Device Manager. Disable Windows automatic update to just notify of updates. Reboot. If Windows shows update for wireless device: Hide this update by right-click > hide.

#3 The Punisher

The Punisher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:17 AM

May be an easy solution:

Uninstall wireless device driver (not software) via Device Manager. Disable Windows automatic update to just notify of updates. Reboot. If Windows shows update for wireless device: Hide this update by right-click > hide.

Thank you.

So is the problem because of only the wireless drivers? I don't know why wireless would cause this as I did not update the drivers recently and it was working fine till yesterday 

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:44 AM

Not sure it is the wireless driver. The .dmp file had athr.sys listed and thought that would be a good place to start.

Do the BSODs occur when coming out of sleep or hibernation? Or do they occur when booted cold?

As far as updating drivers: If Windows is configured to install updates automatically; that would include drivers if not configured otherwise.

Edited by bludgard, 24 December 2014 - 10:45 AM.

#5 The Punisher

The Punisher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:34 PM

Not sure it is the wireless driver. The .dmp file had athr.sys listed and thought that would be a good place to start.

Do the BSODs occur when coming out of sleep or hibernation? Or do they occur when booted cold?

As far as updating drivers: If Windows is configured to install updates automatically; that would include drivers if not configured otherwise.

Thank you, Ill give it a try

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users