Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite A105-S361 will not boot to dvd drive

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 pdaddy1475

pdaddy1475

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:04 AM

Hello,

I have a Toshiba Satellite A105-S361 that is currently running Windows XP Home. I want to upgrade this laptop to Windows 7 Home Prem but I cannot get the laptop to boot from the dvd drive. I have went into the bios and changed the dvd drive to boot position one. I saved the configuration and restarted the computer but it does not boot off of the dvd drive. It bypasses the dvd drive and boots into Windows. I then restarted the computer and pressed F12. This allows me to pick what drive I want to boot from, I pick the dvd drive, it bypasses and boots into Windows. I then took the hard drive out. Now it boots to the dvd drive. So, I know the dvd drive works and my Windows 7 disk is good because it will boot to the dvd drive as long as I have the hard drive out of the computer. If I put the hard drive into the computer I cannot boot to the dvd drive. I would appreciate any help with this problem. Thanks you very much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:29 AM

I have never heard of a problem like this. Does this happen only with the Windows 7 install disk or with any bootable disk? What BIOS version do you have? According to Toshiba's website, you need v1.80 in order to run Vista which I assume also means Windows 7.

#3 pdaddy1475

pdaddy1475
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:39 AM

This happens with any bootable disk. I tried a Windows xp home disk and it will not boot off of it. The bios version is v1.30. I did read that I needed to upgrade the bios to v1.80 but I was scared to do that because it said once you upgrade you cannot go back. If I upgrade the bios and still have this problem I might have more problems than I do now. At least right now it is running Windows XP with no problems. The strange thing is that it will boot off of the Windows 7 disk if I take the hard drive out.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:48 AM

I don't think you would be able to run Windows 7 without that BIOS update. Did you run the Window 7 upgrade advisor to see if the computer can run Windows 7? If your computer BIOS allows booting form USB, you could try making an iso of the install disk using Imgburn and then use Rufus to create a bootable USB.

#5 pdaddy1475

pdaddy1475
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:56 AM

You might be right on upgrading the bios to load windows vista or above but what makes no sense is that it will boot from windows 7 disk if I take the hard drive out. My main problem is that it will not even attempt to boot off of any bootable disk if I have the hard drive in the computer. I just don't think upgrading the bios will fix the boot problem because I cannot get it to boot from a windows xp disk right now. It should at least do that without upgrading bios. I have also tried to boot with my external USB dvd drive but it will not recognize it in the bios so I do not think a bootable usb drive will work.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:58 AM

I found this. OP had the same issue as you. Could not boot unless HDD was removed. Try pushing C at boot. It may boot the ODD.

#7 pdaddy1475

pdaddy1475
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:00 AM

Ok....I'll try that now.

#8 pdaddy1475

pdaddy1475
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:05 AM

I tried pushing C as soon as I turned on lapotop. Did not work. It still boots into Windows.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:15 AM

I am not sure what the problem is. Try tapping C at boot. Thay may work  If not, I would try the bootable USB and see if that works for you. If you have a spare Flash drive yo can quickly check if it boots because Rufus sets itself to use Freedos as default instead of an iso image. If you get Freedos to boot using Rufus then Windows 7 should boot.

Were you ever able to get a disk to boot on this computer or is this something that happened recently?

#10 pdaddy1475

pdaddy1475
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:22 AM

This is one of my customers computers. They brought it to me so I could upgrade it to Windows 7. This is the first time I have tried to boot with any disk. It came loaded from Toshiba with Windows XP. I have never used Rufus or Freedos so I will have to research on how this works. Thanks!

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:26 AM

If Rufus boots using Freedos, you will basically get a dos prompt but at least that would tell you the Toshiba can boot from a USB flash drive. This is a very strange issue. I think but am not positive that if the BIOS is updated, that would solve the problem but as you know BIOS updates can go bad.

Edit: I would create a disk image first using something like Macrium Free. At least this would get XP back in case the Windows 7 install did not go well.

Edit Edit: This would depend on if you can boot USB as you could not use the Macrium Free boot disk (CD/DVD) to restore the image.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 December 2014 - 11:30 AM.

#12 pdaddy1475

pdaddy1475
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:31 AM

I am really afraid if I updated the bios then my windows xp would not work and I would not be able to boot to a Vista disk to get that loaded. Then I would have more problems because right now it will at least boot into Windows XP. I have been working on computers over 20 years and have never had this problem. It's crazy! I'm going to try Rufus now. Thanks!

#13 pdaddy1475

pdaddy1475
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:39 AM

I have Rufus on my flash drive. Do I put my flash drive into my Toshiba laptop and see if it will boot? Do I need to change the Boot Priority in bios to get it to boot off of usb drive?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:49 AM

Power off the computer. Attach the USB flash drive. Tap F12 at boot. It should list the flash drive in the menu. If that does not work, change boot priority in BIOS.

#15 pdaddy1475

pdaddy1475
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:50 AM

I cannot get it to boot from the USB flash drive. I just don't know. I think I am out of options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users