Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Damage from USB hub or device?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thatonedude777

thatonedude777

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:06 AM

I've slowly but surely had USB issues and first started as rearranging USB devices in ports or restarting to make them work and this happened for a few months.

For the past week I've been having power surge on hub port and the BIOS error about overcharge but nothing that kept me from booting if I removed my mouse.

Now it's just luck whether or not I can use my mouse. Two USB ports are dead and I haven't been able to find a working USB port for my mouse. Except, everything else will seem to work as long as my mouse isn't plugged in. If I plug my mouse in, it seems to overcharge and turn off other USB devices until reboot randomly (it's common but not 100% of the time)

The Question: So now this begs the question, is it the cable from my mouse that's causing my USB ports to overcharge and have slowly broken my ports or were my ports just dying at some point and messed up my mouse? I do know the mouse doesn't seem to always work on other USB devices on a couple of laptops. The cable has to sit just right for it to work and sometimes it just doesn't work. Sometimes it works fine. But I'm worried that mouse could be the cause of USB hub failure.

I'm already sending my mobo in for an RMA but I thought I'd ask incase cause I don't want to damage any other ports with this USB cable from my naga epic.

Specifications
Mobo: Asus z77 Sabertooth

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:53 AM

Sounds like your mouse might be having some issues. Could be that the cable has some form of damage or there are two cables that have exposed wire touching each other. You may want to try with a basic mouse (if you have one spare or could borrow one to test) and if it works just fine then more than likely your mouse is the culprit. 

Gavin Seabrook

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:17 PM

It sounds like a mobo problem to me- but as Gavin Seabrook says- check your mouse first- 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users