Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

32 to 64 bit

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hman123467

hman123467

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:49 AM

Hello everyone I am hman123467

I am running a computer that has the 32 bit version of windows 7 and want to upgrade to the 64 bit version. Would I have to wipe my HDD to do this because whenever I play Gmod it lags a lot.
And could you also include the steps on how to do it?
Setup:
Mobo: Gigabyte G31M
CPU: Intel pentium dual core with hyperthreading socket 775
GPU: Nvidia 7300GS
PSU: 450W
HDD: Hitachi 250GB

hman out

Edited by hman123467, 23 December 2014 - 02:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Digital_Veil

Digital_Veil

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:38 AM

You will need to backup your files to a safe location, upgrade to 64 bit and then move the files and install the necessary programs after the update. Check this out : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows#1TC=windows-7

#3 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:04 AM

If on planning to use usb to install windows you might have to have a iso of windows and a tool called rufus 

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:17 AM

Hi hman123467, welcome to BleepingComputer :)

As mentionned above by Digital_Veil, you'll have to do a complete reinstallation of Windows to switch from 32-bits to 64-bits. These are two completely different architecture, and therefore it cannot be achieved by a simple "upgrade", you'll have to format the partition containing your current Windows installation and reinstall it from scratch. Fear not, it's easier to do then it looks like :) The first thing you want to do is to back-up all your data on an external storage device or online, so you can grab them back on the new installation. After that, you want to grab your Windows product key so you can use it to activate your new Windows. If you don't have it with you physically, you can use ProduKey by NirSoft to grab the current product key in use on your Windows system. From there, what you'll need to do is to create a bootable installation media with the .iso of your current installed edition of Windows, except one that is 64-bits, not 32-bits. If you install another edition of Windows 7 than the one you have now, your product key will not work. Therefore, let's check which edition you have by clicking on the Windows Start Menu, right-click on Computer and select Properties. Your Windows edition name should be displayed in the System window that will open. Can you post it for us?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:43 AM

What do you hope will be the result of changing to the 64bit OS? The main advantage gained is to enable access to more than 4GB of RAM - does the system have 4GB or more?

If you're experiencing performance issues, I suspect it's more likely to be caused by the low performance of the 7300GS card, which is a media system card. It has acceleration for HD media streaming, but not much gaming grunt.

Gmod is fairly physics heavy, and recommended CPU (P4 1.8GHz) and RAM (1 GB) are modest, so seems unlikely a 64bit OS would gain you anything very worthwhile. The recommended video card I find quoted as a 6800XT, which for example carries Passmark G3D score of 105 compared to the 7300GS at 65.

Edited by Platypus, 23 December 2014 - 09:01 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 hman123467

hman123467
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:12 PM

Another thing that I forgot to mention is that the HDD that I have was transferred from a blown up Lenovo thinkcentre and it states that it is not a genuine copy of windows. It is windows 7 build 7601 32 bit

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:10 PM

that it is not a genuine copy of windows.

Oh dear !  Well that is one reason for replacing your copy of Windows but, as has been pointed out above, the real need for any 64 bit OS is to use RAM in excess of 4 Gb. However 'Not genuine' warnings can be false positives, see this topic particularly the points made by Quietman7 -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/559813/not-genuine-windows/

Essentially, a 32 bit OS can address up to about 3.5 Gb of RAM, to address more than that you need a 64 bit OS.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:41 AM

Another thing that I forgot to mention is that the HDD that I have was transferred from a blown up Lenovo thinkcentre and it states that it is not a genuine copy of windows. It is windows 7 build 7601 32 bit

Apart from the validity problem with the license (an OEM installation is valid only for the system it is initially supplied with), Windows will also typically have problems operating correctly when transferred to different hardware. If it has reverted to a generic video driver, and the appropriate driver for the current video card not installed, that could make screen updates laggy.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users