Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

F4

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Xyard

Xyard

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:30 AM

I have a problem. I got a new computer and I've found an annoying bug - pressing f4 works as if I pressed alt+f4. I need this key to use a certain program but it just closes the application and therefore Im unable to use it. Anyone knows how to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:33 AM

If you're using a laptop it has to do with part of the FN+ function keys. Most laptop bios today you can set the F keys back to standard function and you have to use FN key to use the extra function. I am not entirely sure why they set it like that by default, but it's annoying. So just look for that setting in the BIOS and that should remedy your problem.

#3 Xyard

Xyard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:32 AM

So I disabled hotkeys but the problem persists. F4 keeps closing stuff no matter the hotkey setting. :(

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:36 AM

Hi Xyard :)

It would help a lot if you could give us the brand and model of the laptop/computer that you are using :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:43 AM

Sounds like your one of your alt keys is stuck. Try tapping them a few times to see if it un-sticks.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 02:17 AM

With the bios now changed maybe you could try uninstall/reinstall the driver in device manager. Could be keyboard software. Maybe try a usb keyboard from another pc and see it still does it. For whatever reason It's possible to have a malfuntioning keyboard right out of the box from factory. It could be a flex ribbon not plugged in all the way. It could be a droplet of water got inside there you wasn't aware of and it's shorting it out. It Could be that the rubber membrane inside the keyboard is torn and the button gets stuck down. If that is the case then you would have to order the keyboard part and have it swapped out. As a side note, I always keep one of these around incase something goes wrong, or if I am out working on a clients pc. Believe me it pays for itself. http://www.frys.com/product/5881063?source=google&gclid=CNzF8NfS4MICFYpcfgodeDIAyA

Edited by technonymous, 25 December 2014 - 02:20 AM.

#7 Xyard

Xyard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:49 AM

Hi Xyard :)

It would help a lot if you could give us the brand and model of the laptop/computer that you are using :)

I'm using Lenovo Ideapad z710

Sounds like your one of your alt keys is stuck. Try tapping them a few times to see if it un-sticks.

It's rather impossible that something could block the alt key because of how the keyboard is made. I'll try the idea of technonymous now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users