Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Konadan

Konadan

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:12 AM

Have Win7.  When I open IE, it quickly closes.

Edited by hamluis, 25 December 2014 - 01:17 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:15 AM

Hi Konadan :)

It seems that this is a known issue with Internet Explorer under Windows, Microsoft even dedicated a whole support article for it here. Follow Method 1 under Windows 7, and if it doesn't work, follow Method 2. Let us know how it goes. Also, which version of Internet Explorer do you have installed?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:03 AM

IE 11; I tried both, and it didn't help.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:23 AM

Alright, click on the Windows Start Menu and enter cmd in the search box. From there, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator. In the command prompt, enter the following command:

sfc /scannow

Let me know what message is returned after the scan is complete (at 100%).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:32 AM

I ran it. SFC didn't find any problems. IE still doesn't open.

Edited by Konadan, 23 December 2014 - 10:33 AM.

#6 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 12:37 PM

I think I have a virus...I need help.  I called Microsoft for help, and they said I had a virus.  They wanted $100 to get rid of it...I can't afford it .

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 12:41 PM

Are you sure that you called the real Microsoft? Never heard of Microsoft charging you to get malware removaed. If you think that you are infected, you should create a thread in the malware removal section by following the instructions here (every single one of them);

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

unite_blue.png

#8 Guest_LighthouseParty_*

Guest_LighthouseParty_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 02:37 PM

Aura., on 25 Dec 2014 - 5:41 PM, said:Aura., on 25 Dec 2014 - 5:41 PM, said:

Never heard of Microsoft charging you to get malware removaed.

Saying that, they have an online support page (http://answerdesk.microsoft.com/) and also phone support. They walk you through troubleshooting steps, but if the issue is complex, such as constant error messages or viruses, they will require you to sign up to their premium service, which does cost about £100.

Depends if the OP called a legitimate number though.

Edited by LighthouseParty, 25 December 2014 - 02:47 PM.

#9 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 04:42 PM

I didn't have constant error messages or virus indications.  I just told them I couldn't open IE. Then, he had me type in "iexplore.exe" and it wouldn't open.  He then declared I had a virus, and indicated I had to pay $100.00 for virus removal, and $148.00 for 1-year coverage. Maybe, I called a bogus MS. I don't believe I did. But, I will call again.  Thank you, both!!!  ;-)

Edited by Konadan, 25 December 2014 - 04:45 PM.

#10 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 12:54 AM

I called MS again, and they wanted to charge again.  I told them I wanted uninstall/reinstall.  At first he said I couldn't but relented.  I uninstalled IE 11 update.  I tried to open IE, and it opened up to IE 9!  Problem fixed!!! Hooray and yippee!!!!!!

I have a different problem with Firefox.  I get Asian characters on the browser.  I restart firefox, and they go away, but they eventually come back.   Please help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users