Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Download

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:58 PM

Greetings;  Re: Windos 7 O/S     When clicking into "download" we get this pop-up: "Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded." Download settings are exactly the same as another computer with Windows & OS.  Computers run, hard wired, off of D-Link routner. Thank you for any input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:01 PM

Hi Robert :)

May I ask you to try the solution given by Azeez N in the thread below and see if it works?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/error-message-your-current-security-settings-do/59cc236d-7baf-4552-92ff-b34b9a6942aa

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:26 PM

We did try that and we still got the pop-up.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:36 PM

Alright, go back in the Internet Properties control panel, Security tab. From there, click on the Reset all zones to default level (if not greyed out). Once done, click on Advanced and click on both Restore advanced settings and Reset... (check the box to delete even the personal data). Once this is all done, click on the Apply button and restart the computer. Let me know if you can download after.

Also, which web browser are you using? What file, program, etc. are you trying to download if I may ask?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:01 PM

OK, we tried that and we get; a series of 3 long numbers separated by underscores and then_n.jpg couldn't be downloaded.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:03 PM

Does it happens only for one file? Or every files you try to download? What are you trying to download exactly, a picture? If so, how? A download button, or right-clicking on it and selecting Save picture as ...?

unite_blue.png

#7 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:59 PM

As I said previously, we have two computers hard wired to a wireless router. Both units use windows 7 o/s and the problem  is with her computer.  She is trying to download a pic from one of her Facebook friends. and  trying to download a pattern from Ravelry, a knitting and crocheting website. Before we tried your latest suggestion, when she tried to download her friends pic, she would click on the picture and get options which included download and when she clicked on that, she would get the popup that says her security settings prevented the download. Since we effected your suggestion to reset to default and then restore advanced settings she tired again. Then, she clicked on the picture and on the bottom of the screen, she got a popup that gave the option to save, she clicked on that and got a denial that I explained in my post before this one. There is no save picture as...... option, just save. Her browser is Internet Explorer.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:03 PM

Alright, to me it seems like a corrupted Internet cache or setting. Download and execute TFC. Then, click on the Run button. Wait for the scan to complete. It's normal for the Desktop to dissapear and programs to close, they'll reappear as soon as the scan is done so don't worry. Do you have another web browser installed on the computer from where you can try to download the pictures, like Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox?

unite_blue.png

#9 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:10 PM

Are you suggesting trying Mozilla or Google Chrome to see if it works before doing the TFC thing?

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:18 PM

I suggest you to run TFC first and see if you can download files after. If you can't, try a new browser.

unite_blue.png

#11 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:43 PM

OK

#12 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:54 PM

Of course, I am going to do this on my wife's computer. She is not registered with bleeping computer so can I sign in on her computer using my sign-in and accomplish doing what you suggest. I don't think, on her computer that I can access the TFC without being registered.

#13 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:02 PM

I went ahead, on her computer, and signed in under my sign-in. I clicked on to the TFC and I hit run and got a pop-up on the bottom of the screen that said it couldn't be downloaded.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:10 PM

Yeah true, if files doesn't download, TFC is no exception. And if you don't have an alternate web browser already installed, you won't be able to download the file as well. Can you check if the following option is checked or unchecked?

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/135720-ie9-wont-download-files-post1470987.html#post1470987

unite_blue.png

#15 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:31 PM

It looks like that is centered around IE 9 and she has IE 10 on her unit. As it turns out right now, we need to attend to some food requirements due to the impending arrival of relatives on the holiday and we need to feed them. After we return, I am going to download either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox and access the internet and as you suggest, try to download from there. Of course, I don't know at this time if the computer will let me download either one of those. We will find out. I really appreciate the help I am getting,. While I'm away, let me know what you think about doing a restore and if we get to the dreaded re-install, would she have any problem doing a saving on disc or stick of files that she hasn't backed up yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users