Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LMC17.1-64bit Full Install to HDD

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:53 PM

Hy all, I am going to install LMC17.1-64bit to HDD along side of LMM17-32bit.  This is because I wiped out my XP Install, Whoops lol.

1. Do I choose "Something Else" on the installer, or Install along side of LMM17-32bit.

I chose "Something Else" for now, and posted a screenshot.  Creating my / home partition I am not able to check Format.  I have only done this a few times, and in this situation I probably could do this a little different. 

2. Do I need Swap, or will this new install just use the Swap that is on the current install?

Thanks pcpunk

10rnubc.png

Edited by pcpunk, 22 December 2014 - 10:03 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:09 PM

Hey pcpunk,

You kind of answered your own question there. If you want to install ( I am assuming LMC is linux mint??) linux mint 17.1 64 bit along side of the 32 bit install, you choose "install along side". Though I honestly don't see why you would want to? I would save anything you need on the 17 32 bit install and then overwrite it with the 64 bit install. No point having virtually the same thing on the same drive. If there are 32 bit applications you are using you can usually install 32 bit libraries for them on the 64 bit install.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:16 PM

you can install cinnamon and then start it from :

menu->control center->desktop settings->windows->window manager

sudo apt-get install compiz

should install the cinnamon desktop.

Hmmmmmmm, I don't kniow if that sounds right..... I'll find out. give me a bit! There it is. You need to open the control center and then compiz config and activate things. I'm still trying to figure it out.

Edited by bmike1, 22 December 2014 - 10:39 PM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:35 PM

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,272 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:37 PM

Hey pcpunk,

You kind of answered your own question there. If you want to install ( I am assuming LMC is linux mint??) linux mint 17.1 64 bit along side of the 32 bit install, you choose "install along side". Though I honestly don't see why you would want to? I would save anything you need on the 17 32 bit install and then overwrite it with the 64 bit install. No point having virtually the same thing on the same drive. If there are 32 bit applications you are using you can usually install 32 bit libraries for them on the 64 bit install.

I think I will wait and see if cat1092 will help me out, but I will explain what I am doing:  I want to test out LinuxMintCinnamon-17.1-64bit on my pc to see how it works.  I have already tried it via. DVD and it works quite good.  I have been advised that it could be problematic, so want to keep my trusty LinuxMintMate-17-32bit around.

The reason I did not chose "Along Side" is because I want to create a / home partition, or just make a custom partition so that other distro's can be installed later.  Still, all is up in the air right now.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:45 PM

I thought that maybe I needed to install that also so I ran the command:

[sudo] password for bmike1: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
compizconfig-settings-manager is already the newest version.
compizconfig-settings-manager set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

so it seems 'apt-get install compiz'  installs the manager as well.
hey nick, do you know where instructions for this thing are?

Edited by bmike1, 22 December 2014 - 10:49 PM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#7 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:45 PM

Ah, I think I see what you are saying. I have a similar setup on my Lenovo latop. I have a 32GB SSD running Ubuntu, with a /home partition set up on my 1TB hard drive. This makes it easy to install other distros if I want to and still keep all my data with out having to back it up to a external drive before I install the new distro.

So on your free space that you have you basically need to create two partitions, one with a root or "/" partition, and one with a "/home" partition. The root partition will install the main files for the new Linux Mint install that you want.

Depending on how much memory you have you usually don't need swap space. I never install swap space for my installs.

Since you you will have grub already, it may not ask about installing it. I would think it would add it to the menu automatically... but that doesn't always happen.

#8 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:55 PM

1- start your operating system (the below details Linux Mint but others are similar)

(it might take a while to read all the info from the disk)

2- click on the icon in the lower right corner that looks like a diagonal line with two balls in the middle and connect to your network

3- click 'menu' (lower left) then type 'gparted' in the search bar and select it

4- right click on the unused space you want to use and then resize the bar to approximately a new partition size, and then click 'add'

5- you are going to make three partitions. make one 10GB (this will be /) one 5GB (swap) and the remainder will be /home (for user data). make notes of what their designations are (/dev/sda?)

6- right click on a new partition and select 'format to -> ????' (whatever you want provided one is swap. I recomend ext4 for the other partitions)

7- click the enter arrow to apply operations

8- close gparted

9- open 'Install Linux Mint'

10- Select your Language

11- connect to your network

12- the next screen give some requisites for installation. select 'continue'

13- select 'something else'

14- select one of the partitions you created, click 'change', click 'do not use...' and select what you want to use it as. then click 'format partition' if you do not need to preserve your data. then click on 'mount point' (/ is root and everything else is self explanatory)

15- click 'Install Now' and away you go!

someone might want to make the above a sticky

Edited by bmike1, 22 December 2014 - 10:59 PM.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:25 PM

hey nick, do you know where instructions for this thing are?

man compiz

http://youtu.be/IYSfF67lalY

Edited by NickAu, 23 December 2014 - 12:00 AM.

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:07 AM

This is because I wiped out my XP Install, Whoops lol.

Welcome to the "Burned My Bridges Brigade", pcpunk. If you have backups, you know ways of accessing data from XP - VM, Wine (for apps) &c.

"Let the Force guide you, Luke"

t7722.gifWizard Incognito

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,272 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:27 AM

I don't understand what this was for?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,272 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:49 PM

I wish I had got a screenshot of this question, here it goes anyway.  When I created /dev/sda1 I believe that it said "Location" "Beginning of this space", the problem is, to me, is that the partition was all the way to the left.  I want it to be up against the current partition to the right?  Should I have chosen "End of this Space" for / ?  Then the same for / home.  And again, would it be better to have a small swap for this install also or will all distro's use the same swap?

Thanks pcpunk

10rnubc.png

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,272 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:50 PM

bmike1

Why use gparted as opposed to just using the installer to make the partitions?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:04 PM

I would use the beginning of the free space, not the end. But that is my preference. Its easier to add things in if its at the beginning.
Again in my opinion you really do not need swap space. Swap is if you run out of physical ram space, which I highly doubt you will run out of.

#15 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:35 PM

well, I have always use gparted and have no experience the other way.

as for the location of the partition I get used equipment and so generally put my partitions at the end as the end is less used. in other words it doesn't matter.

Edited by bmike1, 23 December 2014 - 03:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users