Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I unhide one hidden folder on my computer?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Thedafthatter

Thedafthatter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:15 PM

I need to unhide the folder Application Data so I can get into .minecraft to back up my saves more often. How do I unhide one folder and not all the hidden files on my computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:18 PM

Hi Thedafthatter :)

What you're asking is really easy. Simply right-click on the folder and select Properties. From there, uncheck the Hidden box.
8bm1Bxt.png
Also, I don't know how unhiding the folder will make Minecraft back up your saves more often. Mind explaining how is it supposed to do that exactly?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Thedafthatter

Thedafthatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:22 PM

I unhide the folder then I go into the .minecraft folder then I click on saves then I right click and hit copy then paste onto my desktop. Its just I can't get in there when Application Data is hidden. And also that doesn't work when I right click and hit properties hidden is already unchecked

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:24 PM

What you can do, which is way easier, is to enable the option to see hidden files, folders and drives on your system. Go in your Windows Explorer and press on the Alt key. From there, a new bar will appear with menu options. CLick on the Tools menu and select Folder Options.... From that new window, click on the View tab and check the Show hidden files, folders, and drives radio button.
3CRAeMp.png
Be careful however, this will allow you to see files and folders that you usually don't see and are hidden for a reason. So you'll have to be more careful around the Windows Explorer. Also, why just not created a shortcut to the .minecraft folder on your Desktop and access it from there? Way easier, once again.

Edited by Aura., 22 December 2014 - 09:25 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Thedafthatter

Thedafthatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:26 PM

I know I can do that but I want to know how to unhide one specific folder and not everything on my computer. Because my mom is so self-centered she set my computer up in her name because it was a gift. And her 'user' is hidden where Application Data is hidden I already clicked properties and hidden is unchecked.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:34 PM

How is the AppData folder being displayed? In full color or a bit transparent?
WrwLwcT.png
EndplSU.png
Also, I removed the Hidden attribute from my own AppData folder, then I checked Don't show hidden files, folders or drives in the Folder Options, and I could still see it:
iU5H9O2.png

unite_blue.png

#7 Thedafthatter

Thedafthatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:39 PM

I'm asking how to remove the hidden attribute from the folder

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:40 PM

If you properly unchecked the Hidden from the folder's property, then you removed its hidden attribute.

unite_blue.png

#9 Thedafthatter

Thedafthatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:42 PM

Ok so I never checked or unchecked anything but essentially it won't let me remove it. I'm not sure how to explain other than when I click properties the hidden box is unchecked and when I click check it hides everything else.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:44 PM

When you click on the box to check or uncheck it, do you get another prompt asking you if you want to apply that section to every other files and folders contained in that folder or solely that folder?

unite_blue.png

#11 Thedafthatter

Thedafthatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:52 PM

Yes I do but when I hit just this folder nothing happens but when I click all sub folders ect. it hides everything

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:58 PM

Okay, make sure that the AppData folder Hidden checkbox in unchecked, then take a screenshot that shows both the Properties window of that folder and the AppData folder in Windows Explorer and attach. Because at this point, I don't really understand what you explain me. Follow dc3's instructions here to take a screenshot of what I'm asking and attach it to your next reply.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users