Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 of 17,245 updates! Runs across screen at startup?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Vickory

Vickory

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:25 PM

Hello, I'm Vicki, this is my first post here. I have Windows 7 Professional, service pack 1 & I'm hoping someone has suggestion of what I can do to resolve this problem as I'm not making any headway myself.

When I start the computer all seems normal until it reaches the microsoft 'windows is starting' splash screen, then a message in largeish white writing runs across the screen that says something about 2 of 17,245 updates. I can't read the whole thing as it flashes by so quickly, pause doesn't work. Then the computer says 'preparing to configure widows 35%,  then shuts down, same again but now says 'configuring windows updates 35%', then restarts again. Next comes 'failure configuring windows updates', next 'reverting to ....?" then finally the computer starts & seems to work normally. BUT it is not as it is going far slower than usual & is chewing through my data allowance at an alarming rate. I have satelite internet connection with 10gig plan usually use 3, this month 8.5 already!.

I check the windows update in control panel which tells me "Most recent check for updates:Never", "Updates were installed:Never" I view update history & it is empty, I view installed updates & there is a list, nothing there will respond to uninstall. I ask to check for updates, "Windows could not search for new updates" Error code 80073712, get help with this error just tells me to 'check the spelling'!

I've read microsft help & troubleshooting, downloaded, installed & run all sorts of 'fixes' & tools, all to no avail. I phoned Microsoft tech support, we restored to an earlier date, twice, no change to outcome, advice uninstall Win 7 pro & install Win 8.1... I won't be doing that!

Can anyone help please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:28 PM

Hi Vicki and welcome to BleepingComputer :)

May you list a few solutions you tried on your own so we don't repeat them or at least get a better idea of what you tried so far and what modifications were made to the system :) Also, there's no need to install Windows 8.1 for that, they're Microsoft, of course they'll try to sell you the most recent OS. In the worst case, you could easily reinstall Windows 7 manually yourself, or via the Factory Restore method if your computer/laptop have a Recovery partition or CD/DVD.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Vickory

Vickory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:20 PM

Hi Aura, thank you for the welcome.

I hate to admit that I'm not sure I remember all the things I've tried over the last few weeks... IT is not my strong point, most the things I tried were from Microsoft support suggestions that I found searching on the error code & a few were from searching this forum looking at all the windows update problems over the last month.

Not sure of the order I did things, first ran malwarebytes & avg, both found nothing, Then tried to follow suggestions from Windows update & microsoft support, restored system to earlier date.

here are some I tried

from a command window, as admin,

sfc /scannow

That tells me there is a system repair pending, reboot use again... Tells me the same thing no matter how often I reboot

System update readiness tool

I'm sure there was some other tool as well but I can't find it now... oh dear, I'm not good at this, I think it wa sto do with chk sur or something like that.

Windows6.1-KB947821-v34-x64.msu

Windows6.1-KB3013126-x86.msu

Nothing seems to have fixed the problem though.

Thanks for helping me.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:37 PM

May I ask you if you recall trying the solutions posted in the links below?

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91738-windows-update-reset.html

One of these solution will be the one to use to solve your issue.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Vickory

Vickory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:47 PM

I had run the Microsoft one, have run both of those just now, I don't know what they do but they don't fix the problem. The restart still ran through it's configure windows, configure windows update, failure configuring, revert cycle; The same splash screen 'applying update operation 2 of 17,245 ...' still there. Winows update 'check for updates' still has same Error code 80073712.

Whatever it is is very stubborn :(

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:51 PM

Did you follow the manual procedure (the long one) from the Microsoft link I posted? Or did you try only the two Fix-It tools?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#7 Vickory

Vickory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:31 PM

I tried the fix it tools & now I'm trying the manual procedure, skipped 4. as it said & now on 6, all was well until the dll's, errors say "The module "mshtml.dll" was loaded but the entry point DLL reigister server was not found."... make sure is valid dll or ocx file, same for browseui.dll

Do I have to keep going through all dll's or do I skip to the next step/s please?

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:34 PM

It looks like there's corruption in your system files. Here's what we'll do. Remember that SFC scan that wasn't working? We'll run it in Safe Mode, where no operations are pending. To boot into Safe Mode under Windows 7, follow the tutorial here. Use the procedure for Windows 7 and boot into Safe Mode with Networking. From there, open the command prompt with Admin Rights like you did earlier and enter sfc /scannow Let me know if the scan launches and also what message is returned once it's complete (at 100%).

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#9 Vickory

Vickory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:41 PM

Ok can try that, do I just close the cmd box I'm in now & then reboot in safe mode with networking etc

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:42 PM

Yes you can simply close it, it's fine. We won't progress a lot without repairing these system files first :P

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#11 Vickory

Vickory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:44 PM

Thanks Aura, will report again once I've tried this

#12 Vickory

Vickory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:07 AM

Still in safe mode, ran sfc /scannow, still has the same message, 'system repair pending, reboot & run scannow again' I've rebooted & run again, still the same.... eeeek!

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:09 AM

Alright, can you go in the following folder : C:\Windows\WinSXS\. From there, find the files pending.xml and reboot.xml. Rename them to pending_old.xml and reboot_old.xml. Restart your computer and see if you can run the SFC /scannow after.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#14 Vickory

Vickory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:27 AM

Found the files but neither will let me rename, says need permission of SYSTEM ??

Is that because I'm in safe mode?

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:31 AM

It looks like it'll have to be done via an elevated command prompt (silly me to not have thought of that before). Open another elevated command prompt (with Admin Rights) and enter the following commands :

takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml
takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\reboot.xml

Once done, enter the following commands:

Ren c:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml pending.old
Ren c:\windows\winsxs\reboot.xml reboot.old

Restart your computer and see if you can launch the SFC /scannow scan after. Funny enough, I also found this article a few minutes ago that describe that procedure, here (it's also based on your current issue, worth a read).

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users