Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore with Macrium Reflect

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:07 PM

I will have to be more careful in the future I wiped out my XP Partition.  I have not booted into it yet but as you can see here.  This is the only device shown in file system now.  The gparted shows all partitions still in place.

I did something very wrong.  I have a couple of questions for using MR as it has been a long time.

1. I guess I need to boot into XP to do this as this is where the backup was made?

2. I was wondering if I can just Restore XP partition, instead of the whole HDD?  Or by the looks of the screenshots I posted above - maybe I should just restore the whole thing?

24y4uq9.jpg

r9q4ua.jpg

Edited by pcpunk, 22 December 2014 - 06:13 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,110 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:44 PM

It appears that I don't have an XP Restore file, can someone confirm by looking at this screenshot?  These are the files and folders that are on my Bootable Macrium USB.  I tried to Restore with Macrium Reflect but could not for some reason.

dffvxs.png

Edited by pcpunk, 22 December 2014 - 08:46 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,446 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:17 PM

I don't see any Macrium Backup files there. The backup file names default to a alpha numeric name with a mrimg extension. Usually they need to be placed on an external drive other than the bootable Macrium USB. Looking at your Gparted partitions, I don't see any Windows partition there. Did you overwrite the XP partition with the casper-rw ext3 partition?  The casper-rw partition is usally placed on a USB live linux flash drive for persistance storage.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,110 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:38 PM

Thanks JohnC_21 that's what I was affraid of.  Yes I did something wrong with the casper-rw.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,446 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:52 PM

If you do not have a XP backup image then I am afraid you are out of luck getting it back. You could reinstall Linux and use the whole drive after backing up your data. I would increase the size of your home partiiton. Make your / root partition about 25GB which would leave about 50GB for your data.

#6 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:18 AM

how big do you think swap should be? I mean, seriously, you are given so much RAM nowadays my swap is 5GB. df tells me that only 12KB of the swap partition are in use right now. 

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,446 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:56 AM

I'm new to linux but I set my swap to 1GB and I have Ubuntu on a old computer with 1GB of RAM. Maybe I should have used 2GB. With today's RAM amounts you could probably get away without a swap file but it also depends on what and how many programs you run and if you use hibernate. Here is a good Ubuntu thread on Swap files and if they are needed. And a how-to-geek article.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,110 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:24 PM

Upon boot > F8 > "Boot Manager is Missing"  This is not good lol.  I was advised to try a recovery disc but cannot find another computer to make it with.  On to Linux land full time.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:51 PM

sorry buddy.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,446 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:32 PM

Considering XP is no longer supported with Security Updates, your probably better off using linux.

#11 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:24 PM

welcome to the group of the cool kids!

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,110 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:50 PM

Considering XP is no longer supported with Security Updates, your probably better off using linux.

I was only using LMM17 but liked having that security blanket around.  Don't really need it, no sweat.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:19 PM

of course. it is always good to be prepared.

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:00 AM

That's the exact reason one needs a dedicated backup drive, can be made of spare components, but also are on promo for as little as $45 for 500GiB, or $49-55 for 1TB. Actually, spare computer components can be found for next to nothing, all one has to do is ask around. Many retail backup drives ships with their own backup software, or one can use Macrium, Todo or Aomei Backupper Free, as well as many paid backup software choices. 

And keep at least two Full Drive images on it. That way, should the worst happen, one's prepared. Up & running in 30 minutes to an hour, rather than days. 

There are also no cost bootable partition tools that can recover lost partitions, provided the space hasn't been overwritten. Such as the AOMEI Partition Assistant, though it requires installing on a working Windows install & bootable CD created for scanning the computer for lost partitions. 

http://www.disk-partition.com/download-home.html

And here's their backup software. 

http://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-backupper.html

However, as I stated above, it's not too late to recover that lost partition, provided it's not overwritten. And finally one has to keep in mind their their primary computer is not for risky practices. While I have no idea of how this happened, had the OP asked before the damage was done, could have been instructed on how to safely proceed. Only play on secondary computers. There are many to be had from free to $25 to play with Linux on. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users