Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome opens extra tabs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hmenzel

hmenzel

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:54 PM

When I click on the icon to open Chrome, it opens my home page.

When I click on a link in an email, the linked page opens as well as 4 more tabs that get a page not found.

This problem was opened by someone else last month and closed for no response after multiple things were tried.

Thanks,

Harold Menzel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FighterRanger

FighterRanger

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:57 PM

Sounds like malware tampering to me. Have you run any anti-malware scans on your pc recently? It sounds like you may have had an infection, got it removed, and have some broken links. I've seen broken links on people's browsers after running adw cleaner before, and browsers aren't always the greatest at restoring their settings.

In any case, resetting Google Chrome should be able to fix the issue. Click the 3 horizontal lines -> settings -> show advanced settings -> scroll to the bottom and select reset settings.

#3 hmenzel

hmenzel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:34 PM

I did all that and it did not help..

Thanks, Harold Menzel

#4 FighterRanger

FighterRanger

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:00 PM

Oh, I totally read that wrong on my first read-through, I thought you were opening up multiple broken tabs on your homepage. No, the fix I suggested would not work.

Is it every link you open in your e-mail or is it just a specific one?

#5 hmenzel

hmenzel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:05 AM

It does not happen if I bring up Chrome myself.  If I click on a link, the link gets opened plus 3 additional tabs that all get a not found.  (For now, I have changed my default browser to IE.)

Thanks. 

Harold Menzel

#6 FighterRanger

FighterRanger

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:27 PM

Was there ever a point in time when your e-mail brought up working links? Have they always been broken links? Does clicking on links outside of your e-mail bring up any bizarre behavior by Chrome?

Also, and very unlikely that this would do anything and you've probably already tried it, but have you tried deleting your cache, either by clearing your history or preferably by cleaning out your temp files using ccleaner?

#7 NotAnElf

NotAnElf

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:53 AM

I had this issue myself and I re-install of Chrome appears to have fixed this.

#8 hmenzel

hmenzel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:39 PM

Thanks, that worked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users