Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed windows updates for months "WindowsUpdate_800706F7" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 rebecca2015

rebecca2015

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:03 PM

Hi there,

So Ive just noticed in the past week or so that my windows has been trying to update and has been failing for months and everything I've tried does nothing to fix the situation.  Anyone else ever have this problem? Help!  I also have the "not genuine windows" message popping up when in fact I am running genuine windows.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:14 PM

Hi rebecca2015, welcome to BleepingComputer :)

About your "Windows isn't genuine" error message, did you try to manually re-enter the product key yet ? Like shown here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/genuine/product-key#T1=tab01

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 rebecca2015

rebecca2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:21 PM

trying to validate now

#4 rebecca2015

rebecca2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:42 AM

still unable to validate windows and I cannot find where to change with windows key...

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:08 AM

The Microsoft article I linked you shows you exactly where to go to change your product keys, you should see the following window if you follow the steps correctly:
3IJGM54.png
Just below the window is the place you have to click on to bring that window up.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 rebecca2015

rebecca2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:13 AM

Ok yes I do get to that window but there is nothing to click that says change product key.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:18 AM

Can you follow dc3's instructions here on how to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool, then take a screenshot of where you are supposed to see the Change product key and attach it to your next post please?

unite_blue.png

#8 rebecca2015

rebecca2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:39 AM

here it is, let me know if you need to see more

Attached Files

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:43 AM

Alright. Click on the Windows Start Menu and enter cmd in the search box. From there, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator. In the command prompt, enter the following command:

slmgr -rearm

Once this is done, restart your computer and let me know if you still get the "Windows isn't genuine" message.

unite_blue.png

#10 rebecca2015

rebecca2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:49 AM

I dont have the option to run as administrator...I think I automatically have those privaleges

***nevermind it wont let me do it...How else can I go about running as administrator?

Edited by rebecca2015, 23 December 2014 - 08:50 AM.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:53 AM

What do you mean by you don't have that option? And also, it won't let you do it? What doesn't work exactly? The command or running the command prompt as Administrator? If so, what error are you getting?

unite_blue.png

#12 rebecca2015

rebecca2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:56 AM

when I right click on it, it does not give me an option to run as administrator (mark, paste, select all, scroll and find)

#13 rebecca2015

rebecca2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:57 AM

haha nevermind its early and im stupid...slept depravation from 3 month old...

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:58 AM

Are you using an Administrator account on your Windows right now? Also, go in the C:\Windows\System32\ folder, look for cmd (or cmd.exe if you have file extensions enabled), then right-click on it and select Run as Administrator.

unite_blue.png

#15 rebecca2015

rebecca2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:59 AM

done - restarting now

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users