Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect Wireless

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jmushow

jmushow

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:20 AM

This topic was originally in the Virus forum, but they requested I move it here.  We wen't though most of the viruses and I believe its pretty clean at this point.  Here is my original request:

I am trying to clean my girlfriends computer which cannot connect to any wireless router.  I have gone through the normal malware and security cleanses (Malware bytes, JRT, AVG) and got to the point that they come up clean when rerun (but had a host of issues prior).  Two issues are still present - I randomly still get chkdsk errors, but cannot fix them in the command box, as it tells me it is being used by something else so I have to schedule it for next reboot.  The second an main issue is that I cannot connect to wireless.  Initially the adapter would not even show any wireless routers.  After deleting/recreating the adapter and other tricks I have found it starting showing all the routers in my building but if I tried to connect to them it would not give me a prompt for a password (the icon also did no indicate that it was secure network).  I ran SFC /Scannow once and the logfile shows tons of files that it could not repair.  After all that, my adapter is no longer showing any wireless routers anymore.  I believe I still have some viruses (or reminiscent thereof) but I think I have many corrupted files.  Also - no Windows recovery disk and the only option this MSI laptop has is a full blown recovery that wipes the disk which is my last resort.

Thanks

Jack

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:47 PM

With all your file errors I am not sure this will work but download and run Netadapter all in one repair and click the Advanced Repair button.

You can do a repair install of windows 7. Download the iso of your Windows 7 version (Windows 7 Home Premium x86 English (32 bits) - from your other thread) here and burn it to a DVD. Before you do the repair install download and run this utility that will backup your activation files. The files are saved in the a folder you unzipped the utility to. Save that to a USB key. After the repair, if the OS needs to be activated, you can use the backup.

I would back up any important data first if you should decide to do the repair install.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 December 2014 - 08:48 PM.

#3 jmushow

jmushow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 02:30 PM

I tried the Netadapter and it really didn't seem to do much.  I also tried a similar repair which someone in the Malware forum suggested.  I think I am just going to bite the bullet and backup then restore my Windows 7.  I believe that I have files missing/damaged to to a HD issue so that is my best overall bet.

Thanks for all you help and have a joyful New Year!

Jack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users