Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PSU issue on old HP Pav a6110n [solved]

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:20 AM

Hello and Happy Holidays. :santa:

Helped my MIL replace her old HP Pavilion a6110n whose PSU appeared to have given up the ghost - would not power on and on the back side of the computer/PSU there was the little blinking green light.

Wound up replacing her old machine with a new Windows 8.1, (she was ready for a new desktop) tweaked it with the Classic Shell app - which works like a charm and then took her old HP home with me (after saving and transferring over all her Docs & Pictures).

I've been toying with any number of Linux distros in the past two years, so I thought, "what the heck, I'll find a cheap power supply online, throw another stick of RAM in there and fuss with it..."

After doing some online searches for known issues like this and also scoping out what a new PSU was going to cost me, I came across this article, which mentioned using a hair dryer, blowing for several minutes on the back of the PSU.  :mellow:

Well, I've seen and heard some weird things in the past 5 years but this one seemed pretty weird, and then I thought, "well, I've got more Time than Money, so what the heck?"

3 minutes later it's powered up and humming along nicely on the kitchen table.

Next step is to let it run awhile (couple of hours) and then see if it reboots. Then unplug it, move off the kitchen table and see if it powers back up on the Computer table.

Wanted to put this out there in case anyone needed a quick fix for something like this.

Strange but good days.

Winterland

Edited by Winterland, 22 December 2014 - 07:40 PM.

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:25 AM

Update.

Well, after leaving the computer on for about 2 hours, I was able to reboot a couple of times without any issues.

Once I physically unplugged it from the wall - to move it off the kitchen table and back on to the computer table - the little green light on the back of the computer/PSU immediately started blinking again.

Plugged it all back together this morning, started up the old hair dryer and *poof* within 2 minutes of blowing that hot air onto the fan vent (on back of computer) that blinking light went steady and then I powered it back up without incident. :lmao:

I've already looked up getting a new/used PSU - which looks to be about $30 - $40 bucks - since this hair dryer work around isn't really practical but wanted to post this in case anyone needs a quick fix to power up an old / dying HP and pull the standard Photos / Docs / Music / etc. off without spending any cash.

If it applies, I hope you all have a great Holiday and if it doesn't, I hope you have a great day any way.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users