Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

What To Do If You Receive Windows Update Error Codes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_LighthouseParty_*

Guest_LighthouseParty_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:44 AM

Hello there,

This tutorial applies to Windows 7.

I'm Lighthouse Party and I've made this tutorial for you to follow if you receive error codes while trying to install updates :)

Step1: Run Disk Clean-up

Click the start menu, type in Disk Cleanup and press enter. Once it opens, select 'clean up system files' and wait for it to scan. Once a window opens with options to select, checkmark the following and press ok:

• Downloaded Program Files
  • Temporary Internet Files
  • Service Pack Backup Files
  • Temporary Files
  • Thumbinals

Step2: Reset Windows Update Components

Click here to download the Seven Forums .bat file to your desktop, to automatically reset the Windows Update components.

• Right-click on the .bat file and select run as administrator.
  • A command prompt will flash open and run the .bat file.

Step3: Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter

Click here to download the Microsoft Windows Update Troubleshooter to your desktop.

• Double-click it and select next. It will now run.

Step4: Rename the SoftwareDistribution Folder

Please click the start menu, type in cmd, right-click it and select run as administrator. Type in the following one-by-one and press enter:

• net stop wuauserv
  • cd %systemroot%
  • ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
  • net start wuauserv

Should you still have issues with Windows Update after following the advice on this page, feel free to create a new thread and someone will be more than happy to assist you with your issue.

Thanks,
Lighthouse Party

Edited by LighthouseParty, 22 December 2014 - 05:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,384 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:10 PM

Not clear at all why this is posed as a "poll", but...

First...there is a MS Support website on Resetting Windows Update, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 .

Second...we don't normally provide blind download links to the membership, particularly when it's just as easy to give credit to the website with such link/information.  Your links result in attempted downloads with no explanation of the process which is being described. 

Win 7 Windows Update Reset, http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91738-windows-update-reset.html .

Windows Update Automated Troubleshooter, http://support2.microsoft.com/gp/windows-update-issues .

Since this is posted in the Win 7 forum and does not appear to be poll of any sort...I am moving it to Tips/Tricks and removing the poll formatting.

Louis

#3 Guest_LighthouseParty_*

Guest_LighthouseParty_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:18 PM

Hi, I'm not sure either why this was posted as a poll. I simply added a poll whether people thought this was interesting and it automatically added the poll icon.

Also, the first link you posted in your reply returns with "Sorry, the page you requested is not available". I'm also confused as to why you wrote blind download links.

#4 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:25 PM

first link works for me and. im pretty sure what he meant by blind downloads is that soon as you click the link it asks you to DL right away. Person has really no clue what they are DLing

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for sharing. :) Which version(s) of Windows is this for?

For anyone reading along, I would note that in Windows 8 there is no start-menu shortcut for Disk Cleanup, but it can be accessed by opening a Command Prompt as an Administrator (right-click, run as Administrator), and typing "cleanmgr.exe".

#6 Guest_LighthouseParty_*

Guest_LighthouseParty_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:31 PM

No problem :)

It is for Windows 7, hence the reason why I posted it in the Windows 7 forum, but since it's now been moved, I'll make a note at the top of what version of Windows it applies to.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:53 PM

Also, the first link you posted in your reply returns with "Sorry, the page you requested is not available".

Please Read the Microsoft Learning and Training page ..::https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2275fa76-052b-4d8c-b71a-f4d9f29c417c/we-are-sorry-the-page-you-requested-cannot-be-found?forum=CertGeneral

or......the information at computerhope, may also be helpful.... http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=135432.0

If the problem continues, please open a new topic >>>>   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=new_post&f=167

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users