Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Most program installations are failing with "Access is denied."

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 Stannaz

Stannaz

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:34 AM

Hi,

I have been a lurker of this forum for a while, but have now encountered an issue, so I decided to sign up for an account and ask.

I have an issue regarding permissions somewhere, but I never really encounter the issue until it comes to installing programs. I've had the issue for around 2 months but finally it has started to be a real issue. The only solution I've found is to enable the by-default disabled Administrator account and install them there, and this is successful most the time, however sometimes I require program installations on my main user(which is also administrator, but stuff doesn't work for whatever reason).

My setup is slightly different in the way that I have an SSD for Windows, and a 2TB data drive for programs, games and documents etc.

I do not believe malware is the issue.

My most recent encounter of the issue can be seen on the Games for Windows installation: http://i.imgur.com/QM2P0PE.png - This has prevented a game from running, and installing from the Administrator account doesn't allow the program to start on my main user account because "some windows components are missing or disabled" - I also couldn't fix that problem as a workaround. The program ran fine on the Administrator account.

If anymore information is required, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:35 AM

Hi Stannaz, welcome to BleepingComputer :)

May I ask you to do something simple for me? Are you able to create a new user account that is Admin, log into it and see if you can proceed to installations from there? To me it sounds like your current userprofile is corrupted and lost it's Admin Rights.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Stannaz

Stannaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:48 PM

Thanks.

May I also add that using "Run as Admin" does not work.

I will test if a new Administrator account works tomorrow morning, right now I cannot access that PC.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:14 PM

How doesn't "Run as Admin" works exactly? Once you get access to that computer, ensure that the UAC is enabled and at least on the "Default" level. You can see how to access the UAC here. Sorry to rely on a link to guide you, I'm on my phone right now and don't have access to my English Windows 7 VM to guide you step by step (I don't want to use bad translations from French to English).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Stannaz

Stannaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:11 PM

Run as Admin just fails with the same "Access is denied" errors as when I don't use it, it's like it has no effect. UAC is on the factory default, I did try disabling it, rebooting and testing, things, but nothing worked. After this, I returned it to the level it was at before.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:14 PM

Alright. Let me know once you'll have done the test with a new Admin user account :)

unite_blue.png

#7 Stannaz

Stannaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:29 AM

Right, I just created an admin account with the commands:

net user AdminTest /add

net localgroup Administrators AdminTest /add

Then I logged into that account and attempted the program installation. I was prompted for UAC as normal and the program installation completed as normal, what should I do to sort out my main account from here?

Thanks again.

#8 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:05 AM

Malware can sometimes lock up admin rights a seen a few on daniweb and malwaretip forums about this same problem

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:22 AM

The best thing to do from there, would be to either get a malware check-up, since its a common thing for malware to remove or limit Admin Rights of an user account on the system, or start using that new profile as your main one, and transfer all your personal files from the past profile to this one and completely delete the other user and past user profile. It'll be the easiest solution if you ask me, but if you really want to work on fixing your other profile, we can, however I strongly recommend you to get checked in the malware removal section first so we can discard the possibility of an infection.

unite_blue.png

#10 Stannaz

Stannaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:18 AM

I would really prefer to fix my current user account if it is possible and I also do not believe I am infected. If I were to have a malware checkup here, how would I go about it?

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:39 AM

In order to prepare a thread in the malware removal section, you have to read the following thread here and follow all the instructions, step by step.

unite_blue.png

#12 Stannaz

Stannaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:40 PM

Thanks, since that is the suggested route, I'll take it.

Edited by Stannaz, 23 December 2014 - 01:47 PM.

#13 Stannaz

Stannaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:47 PM

I have prepared DDS logs, which forum should I be posting this in?

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:53 PM

Read the Step 7 of the link I posted :) It shows you where to post it and even have a redirection to that forum.

unite_blue.png

#15 Stannaz

Stannaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:03 PM

Oops, I must've missed it. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users