Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dumb question about IP address?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jay11

Jay11

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:44 AM

Hey guys so I wasn't sure exactly where this should go but I'm hoping this is okay.

So I play Xbox and of course you get stupid kids, and sometimes adults, who like to go off about hacking and saying they got your IP. Well I just wanted to know exactly what they could do with it if they did get it. Is it even that easy to get someone's IP from Xbox? A friend of mine said if they did do something, you would know since it would sign you out. I have my phone, laptop, and Xbox hooked up to the same line, through wifi if that matters. I guess I'm just a little paranoid but any help is appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Jay11

Jay11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:47 AM

Okay, so I got a threat just a bit before posting this, which is why I asked, and I just got signed out of Xbox like my friend said might happen. Is there anything I can do to really know if something has happened? I'm a bit more worried now.

#3 Cybbermouse

Cybbermouse

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:02 AM

It's rather difficult to get IP from XBox. I think they are joking. But maybe it's true so... I think they won't cause any damage. Proffesional hackers aren't interested in hacking people playing xBox. But script kiddie enjoy 'troll-ing' people. If they have your ip they can have information about place where you live and alternatively websites you go. If they want to stalk you then they can have your private information like the surname, yes? But I don't think they will stalk you. 
Remember : Everyone can say "I've got your ip!". The first step is to ask them about your ip, okay?

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:19 PM

What else did happen besides you getting signed out of Xbox? Were you able to access the Internet from your other machines?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:19 PM

I wouldnt have a clue about gettign an IP from using an xbox but with a PC its incredibly easy and generally is easy to get in to their modem and start gathering data about their home network and ISP account details, mac address's, computer names, any shared folders, NAS's etc etc.

I generally either give people a warning that i will expose their IP (And proceed further if they are real w@nk**'s) so others may have fun or just ignore them mate.

Dont ask me how because this site doesnt promote it nor should it, but lets just say its easily done.

If you are concerned though, use GRC Sheilds up to check what ports are open on your modem/router mate.

If anything is open then login and close it, also never ever use uPnP or have it enabled on the modem/router also.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,974 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:40 PM

Most domestic users do not have 'An IP address', when you connect to the internet your ISP assigns one to your router for that session and the probability is that you will not get the same one two sessions running.

You do have fixed IP addresses inside your own network. Very commonly, your router has the address 198.162.0.1 and the various computers and other devices have internal IP numbers which increment by 1 but these addresses only apply inside your own network. None of them is the IP address used by your router to access the internet.

Chris cosgrove

#7 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:39 AM

Most domestic users do not have 'An IP address', when you connect to the internet your ISP assigns one to your router for that session and the probability is that you will not get the same one two sessions running.

That's not actually entirely true. At least not here in the US. As long as I don't shut my modem off or restart it my IP from the provider stays the same. After a period of time I am sure they dish out new ones, but that usually won't occur for a while.

As JohnnyJammer said, most hackers could care less about you and your desktop. They want to go after the big corporations and such.

The script kiddies are the ones that just like to play with you. If someone says they got your IP and your even slightly paranoid, just unplug your modem for 5 minutes and plug it back in. You'll most definitely have a new IP address then.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#8 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:39 AM

If your modem receives its Public IP address via DHCP, it can change, even without restarting your modem. The IP address has a lease time, for example one week. If that period is over, your modem will negotiate with the DHCP server for a new lease. During that process, it is possible (but unlikely) that the DHCP server assigns another IP address to the modem.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#9 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:20 PM

If your modem receives its Public IP address via DHCP, it can change, even without restarting your modem. The IP address has a lease time, for example one week. If that period is over, your modem will negotiate with the DHCP server for a new lease. During that process, it is possible (but unlikely) that the DHCP server assigns another IP address to the modem.

True. I worded my reply badly.

I have Comcast for my internet provider, I don't know if they just do it differently or not but I can keep the same IP as long as my modem doesn't get restarted. The lease might be contingent on the modem being physically shut down, if its not it stays the same, once it does however if the lease is up then it changes.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users