Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Distortions when turning on computer

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 tricktrolled

tricktrolled

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:17 AM

So whenever I turn on my computer, it will load up to the log in screen and after a short period of time the screen gets all distorted and fuzzy about 95% of the time. Most of the time it will freeze  there or lead a blue screen of death, or if I'm lucky enough nothing will happen and my pc will have no issues logging in. I don't know if I am allowed to link images as the file is quite big.

This is somewhat solved by going into safe mode and letting it sit there for about an hour then pressing the restart button, but it is only a temporary solution. This is not a monitor issue as this was also happening on one of my old monitors. I tried updating windows and most of my drivers yet this is still happening.

However when I boot it up in safe mode it works 100% of the time but it gets stuck at classpnp.sys for about one minute then boots up normally. So this might be a driver issue, I tried doing SFC /scannow on command prompt about 7 times yet the problem is still not fixed. I also stopped all services at startup as well using msconfig.exe. I also tried the chkdsk multiple times. 

This problem has been irritating me for a while, so when I'm not using the computer it put it to sleep to avoid this painful process again.

I do not know what to do now and hopefully i can find a solution to my problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:29 AM

Hi tricktrolled, welcome to BleepingComputer :)

You mentioned having BSODs, right? The dumpfiles created during these BSODs could help us determinate the problem to the issue you're facing. Can you move the files under C:\windows\minidump\ to a new folder you'll create on your Desktop, then archive (compress) that document and attach it in your next reply?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 tricktrolled

tricktrolled
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:37 AM

Yes i do have BSODs

The dumpfiles are attached below now.

Attached Files

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:45 AM

Hi tricktrolled, thank you for your patience, as when I replied to you it was around 3 in the morning and I went to bed after.

I checked your crashdump and they are all saying the same thing, the BSODs are caused by your AMD graphic card drivers. Which doesn't surprises me at all. We're going to update them to their latest version to see if it solves the issue. If you want me to, I'll assist you on that. All I need to know is your AMD graphic card brand and model, and which exact version of Windows 7 you are running.

To find out your graphic card brand and model, click on the Windows Start Menu then right-click on Computer and select Properties. From the new window, click on Device Manager in the left pane. In the Device Manager window, expand the Display Adapter column and tell me the names of the devices showing under it.

To find out your version of Windows 7 (32 or 64-bits), you'll have to go in the System window that is open when you right-click on Computer and select Properties. From there, you'll see a line with the word "bits" in it. Simply tell tell me if it's 32-bits or 64-bits.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:37 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#6 tricktrolled

tricktrolled
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:49 PM

Sorry i forgot to put my system specs in the beginning of the post

I believed i did updated my display driver before but anyways my display adapater is AMD Radeon 5570 HD and i am using Windows 7 64bit.

My system manafacturer is Intel and the Model is DH55TC_

Edited by tricktrolled, 22 December 2014 - 07:54 PM.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:03 PM

These are the latest updated drivers for your graphic card : here (download the first package, Catalyst Software Suite).
Download and execute the installer. When you are at the point where you have to choose between an Express and an Advanced (Custom) installation, check the Advanced (Custom) one. Make sure that everything in the check-list is checked and go on with the installation. After that, restart your computer and manually update your Windows Performance Index like shown here.

unite_blue.png

#8 tricktrolled

tricktrolled
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:09 PM

I downloaded Catalyst Control Center before, idk if that is useful at all, and not so long ago i just used the AMD auto detect driver thing. It is currently installing, do I have to still download the catalyst software suite?

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:10 PM

Catalyst Control Center is the AMD software to control the properties of a AMD GPU, it's usually downloaded and installed by the Catalyst Software Suite, which is basically the drivers installer package of AMD GPU drivers. So yes please, download and install the latest versions of every drivers found to make sure that your drivers are fully updated.

Edited by Aura., 22 December 2014 - 08:10 PM.

unite_blue.png

#10 tricktrolled

tricktrolled
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:23 PM

I just realised the AMD Auto Detect i used downloaded the exact same file you had just linked me hahaha. It finally just finished installing, and hopefully it works after restarting otherwise i have to use safe mode and after that i will update my Windows performance index.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:29 PM

The name is generic, hence why :) However, I think the content inside it is different. Alright, once the Windows Performance Index score is updated, restart your computer once more and let us know if you still have these screen distortions or even BSODs.

Edited by Aura., 22 December 2014 - 08:29 PM.

unite_blue.png

#12 tricktrolled

tricktrolled
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:46 PM

So i just restarted my PC and this had slightly solved the issue as I am able to go pass the login screen, the distortions were slightly fixed but there was this popup in the bottom right corner saying my driver had stopped and recovered then goes to a black screen about 5 times and then it leads to a new BSOD i believe. I attached it below. I now have to use safe mode and i cant seem to refresh my Windows Performance Index.

Attached Files

• Attached File  l.zip   23.59KB   4 downloads

Edited by tricktrolled, 22 December 2014 - 08:46 PM.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:49 PM

Another BSOD caused by your AMD graphic card drivers. What were you doing when the message popped up and it crashed?

unite_blue.png

#14 tricktrolled

tricktrolled
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:54 PM

I was frozen at the desktop screen and the screen kept turning black for about 10 seconds about 5 times saying my AMD driver had stopped working and recovered which eventually led to my BSOD. Would ntbtlog.txt help you further diagnose this problem? i had two from a while ago but deleted for no reason... but i am able to give you one that was just generated not so long ago.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:57 PM

I'm good without it :) What we could try right now is a clean reinstall of your drivers. IF it doesn't work we can either make you install the beta drivers, or install the OEM drivers from your laptop/computer manufacturer. In order to do a clean reinstall of your drivers, you'll have to uninstall the current ones first by following the procedure here here. Once done, you can reinstall the graphic card drivers from the installer you downloaded a few posts back following the same procedure.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users