Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 as311

as311

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:03 AM

Here's my problem.. My mobo just burned up on me, so since I've been wanting to upgrade to Athlon 64 anyways, I'm going to do that. My problem in finding one to buy is that I have a ATI Radeon 9800PRO that is AGP8x and not a whole lot of the Athlon 64 mobo's have any AGP slots. Should I get a socket 939 with onboard video until I can get a newer video card, or should I just downgrade my upgrade and get a socket 754 board and Sempron 3000-3200+ CPU? Either way it will be an enormous upgrade from my old XP 2100+... Any recommendations on new boards that either have good onboard video (as good or close to my Radeon 9800 PRO) or that will support my AGP 8X card? Thanks..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:04 AM

Tiger Direct has the Asus A8V socket 939 motherboard with the Athlon AMD 64 3500+ on sale for $199. after a $70. rebate. You can check it out here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:37 PM

An alternative AGP socket-939 is the Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb. Frankly, I don't know how the nVidia nForce 3 northbridge compares to the VIA K8T800, but I've always got the impression that nVidia has a leg up on VIA. The board is selling for $63+$6 shipping and an Athlon64 3500+ is going for $109. I'm surprised that prices have come down so much in the last 3 weeks ! Newegg is selling the Asus A8V for $69+$7 shipping. Either way you go Newegg has Tiger Direct beat.

#4 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:29 PM

Te prices dropped drastically because of Intel's launch of Conroe (Core 2 Duo). AMD's also responding to this.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users