Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Certain Windows update won't take

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Netskimmer

Netskimmer

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:02 PM

The computer I am having trouble with is an HP G60 laptop with a retail copy of Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit installed. (not HP pre-loaded version).

I recently had a problem where winodws .net framework would not update. Windows would download the update, install it, and say my computer was up to date. After a short period of time though, the file would pop back up in windows update as though I had not installed it. It even shows in the update log that it was installed, but windows still said it needed to be installed.

I eventually did a complete format and reinstalled windows fresh. I got all the updates downloaded including .net, but now there are 2 security updates that are doing the same thing. Windows keeps installing them only to revert back to needing them installed. Rebooting does not seem to effect the process. Rebooting right after the update does not undo it. It just happens at some point not long after the update.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:39 PM

Hi Netskimmer :)

May I ask you for which version of .NET Framework are these updates for?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Netskimmer

Netskimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:48 PM

Thank you for your response. I cannot remember what version it was, but .net did update properly after I formatted and reinstalled windows. The problem updates now are security updates. KB946456 and KB967723.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:54 PM

If you can, try to manually install the KB946456 update from here, and the KB67723 update from here. Both downloads are .msu files that can be installed. I suggest you to reboot between each installation, just to see if Windows accepts them.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Netskimmer

Netskimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:22 PM

it says that the update does not apply to my system. I double checked and that is one of the updates. Maybe part of Windows thinks its already installed but another part does not?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:25 PM

As a matter of practice, I always install .NET updates separately by themselves after installing all other updates and patches for the OS. I cannot remember the last time I had a .NET installation failure doing it that way.

When folks encounter repeated issues with installing .NET Framework (updates, applying a hotfix or service pack), I generally recommend following the instructions provided by Aaron Stebner in his Blog article What to do if other .NET Framework setup troubleshooting steps do not help. Aaron works for Microsoft, answers questions at the MSDN forums and writes about .NET Framework issues on his Blog.

1. If repairing the version of .NET Framework that is causing the problem does not work, Aaron recommends using the Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool (NetFxRepairTool.exe) which detects and tries to fix some frequently occurring issues with the setup of or with updates to the Microsoft .NET Framework 4 and .NET 3.5 SP1 (includes .NET 3.0 SP2 and .NET 2.0 SP2).

2. If the repair tool does not help, Aaron next advises to go to the Add/Remove or Programs and Features in Control Panel and uninstall the version of the .NET Framework that is causing problems. If uninstall still fails read the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool User's Guide, download the .NET Framework cleanup tool and remove the version of the .NET Framework that is causing problems.

3. If the above steps do not resolve the problem, then uninstall all versions of .NET Framework and before reinstalling, read Aaron Stebner's Blog article Should I re-install the versions of the .NET Framework in a specific order?

Many installation issues with .NET Framework software are often the result of the how the various versions of the software is installed. Although .NET Framework versions can be installed in any order, Aaron recommends to install .NET Framework in reverse order from the most current to the oldest. He advises this because the most current version includes the the latest updates of files shared by all versions so that helps to eliminate some bugs and installation issues.

All .NET Framework versions are available for download separately from Microsoft's download center so you can bypass Windows Update. If a version is not listed, simply type the version name in the the Search box at the top. Aaron also has download links on his Blog for the various .NET Framework versions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Netskimmer

Netskimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:55 PM

Thank you very much for the lengthy response. So you feel that .net framework is to blame even though it's not one of the files that won't update? I have run repair on net 3.5 and all three, .net 3.5 and both security updates appeared in windows update. I am downloading the security updates first then I will not install .net again until they are finnished as you have suggested. If that does not work, I will try the repair tool.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:57 PM

I think that quietman7 still thinks that the issue is coming from the .NET Framework (the first issue that you mentionned in your first post, but was "fixed" by reinstalling Windows), but it's not according to the description of the two updates you have issues with. However, I am not sure of this and therefore I'll wait for his reply on the matter :P

unite_blue.png

#9 Netskimmer

Netskimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:32 AM

I uninstalled .net completely, installed the other two updates, then I manually installed .net from microsoft update. Everything seems to be holding for now. Thank you for your help. I may have another problem. I don't see any indication that I have any service packs installed.

Edited by Netskimmer, 22 December 2014 - 11:36 AM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:01 PM

How to determine which versions and service pack levels of the Microsoft .NET Framework are installed

Also see this StackOverflow discussion topic.
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 Netskimmer

Netskimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:19 PM

There is nothing under NET framework setup > NDP. No versions, so I'm assuming they are not installed. I'm installing SP1 via download center and will then move to SP 2. Just concerned that windows update claims I am up to date when I am obviously not.

#12 Netskimmer

Netskimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:06 AM

I have gotten SP2 installed and everything seems to be functioning properly. Thanks again for all the help.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:02 AM

You're welcome. :thumbup2: