Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major computer slowdown in past day

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zacscott77

zacscott77

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:44 PM

I have had a major computer slowdown in the past day, with CPU usage pushing towards 100% when nothing is open.  I need help solving this, as I don't know what is causing this.  No viruses are showing up in any scans.  Thanks for the help in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:56 PM

Hi Zacscott and welcome to BC. You can try clicking alt, ctrl del to open the file manager, click on processes and it should show you what is using your CPU.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:24 AM

If I may just complete what KingdomSeeker said, once you are under the Processes tab, you can click on the CPU column to display the processes by CPU usage, from the highest to the lowest. If you see a process called System Idle Process you can disregard it as this process doesn't use your CPU, it insteads display the % of CPU that is still free to use :)

From there, if you could take a screenshot using the instructions from dc3 here and attach it to your next reply, it would help a lot.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users