Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Card Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CountessChocula

CountessChocula

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:37 PM

Hellew. New member. Finally joined because this forum has been extremely useful to me in the past (one nasty search assistant problem in particular).

My question is about a sound card on my father's computer (a compaq presario intel celeron d330 2.66 ghz). The sound card is integrated, and lousy. Only two years old and the sound is scratchy and distorted. I exhausted all other possibilites for the terrible sound before coming to the conclusion it was the sound card itself. I'm assuming an "integrated sound card" means it cannot be removed, however, can another be added and the old one disabled? I apologize if this is a REALLY stupid question but you'll have to forgive me for the little knowledge I have about the actual nuts and bolts of the machine.

ANY help would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
Chocula

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:20 AM

If I understand you correctly your father's computer has onboard audio, if this is the case and he has a free PCI slot you can purchase a sound card and disable the onboard audio in the BIOS.

My personal choice in sound cards is Creative Labs, you can find cards ranging $29. to $379.

You can look at the selection at Tiger Direct here.

This is the second time tonight that I have suggested TD, I hope they appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Edited by dc3, 20 June 2006 - 02:21 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 CountessChocula

CountessChocula
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:17 PM

Well I certainly do. Thank you so much for the quick response!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users