Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti virus?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aka rotten

aka rotten

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:27 PM

I have a question from you experts. I have 4 pc,s  on property 3 in house one in shop. Currently have two on avast and two on AVG. free anti virus .Dont know why, as that was programed on them by pc guy that does our pc work. Not had problem that I,m aware of but considering going to paid anti virus and want some advise  on your recommendations to what type to get and will one service operate on all 4 pcs.Bellsouth is our provider I use wireless from house to shop.Thanks 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:50 PM

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is also a good choice if looking for a paid for program and so is Kaspersky Anti-virus. If you don't want to pay then I would recommend avast! Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition.

Typically with paid anti-virus solutions you can purchase a license for multiple computers for 1, 2, or 3 years.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 05:24 PM

My current setup is AVG (free)(although avast or the free bitdefender might be better presently, which is best among antivirus programs varies month by month) with Malwarebytes (free) and a few other tools as second opinion scanners (mainly ESET online scanner, which is a program one downloads if one is a chrome or firefox user, if one is an internet explorer user it runs in the browser). Some of the really important things though are to make sure you are secure against drive-by attacks, so run an ad blocker and a script blocker in your browser, and make sure your browser is firefox or chrome, not internet explorer. Also, remember to back up your files regularly AND(because normal backups and system images are very different things) take a couple of system images while the system is in a new/fresh/clean state if you can.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 06:23 PM

...make sure your browser is firefox or chrome, not internet explorer.

That is not a necessity unless using Windows XP.

Internet Explorer's SmartScreen Filter (introduced with Internet Explorer 8) is designed to help improve security and protect from evolving web and social engineering threats...it helps the user identify reported phishing/malware sites and helps them make informed decisions about downloads in three ways.

1. Anti-phishing protection screens threats from fake websites seeking to acquire personal information such as user names, passwords, and billing data. As you browse the web, it analyzes pages and determines if they have any characteristics that might be suspicious. If it finds suspicious pages, SmartScreen will display a warning page, giving you an opportunity to provide feedback and advising you to continue with caution.

2. Application Reputation removes all unnecessary warnings for well-known files, and show severe warnings for high-risk downloads. SmartScreen checks the sites you visit against a dynamic list of reported phishing sites and malicious software sites. If it finds a match, SmartScreen will show you a warning letting you know that the site has been blocked for your safety.

3. Anti-malware protection helps prevent potentially unwanted software (PUP) from infiltrating the computer. SmartScreen checks files that you download from the web against a list of reported malicious software sites and programs known to be unsafe. If it finds a match, SmartScreen will warn you that the download has been blocked for your safety. SmartScreen also checks the files that you download against a list of files that are well known and downloaded by many people who use Internet Explorer. If the file that you're downloading isn't on that list, SmartScreen will warn you.
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 07:39 PM

"That is not a necessity unless using Windows XP."

I thought only 8.1 had the latest version of IE. here on windows 8 i still have IE 10 (though never open it) when IE 11 is the latest version. I don't think windows 7 or vista can get IE11 either.

Google chrome and firefox both contain there own anti-phishing measures and have some blacklists of known malware sites that they will give you "are you sure you want to continue" prompts upon trying to reach.

"application reputation" seems to be closely linked with UAC prompts, this happens when you open an exe file regardless of how you downloaded it (or copied it from a removable device). Although those 3 things might suggest internet explorer is safer than I had assumed it to be they don't suggest it to be safer than the alternative browsers. UAC is obviously very helpful and smartscreen appears (from my experience) to be the same thing but it occurs whichever browser you use. It happens when you open the exe file from within file explorer, so how it got( which browser downloaded it) into a folder originally doesn't matter.

The key reason to choose chrome or firefox over IE is that they do have some security features that IE does not have, chrome runs in a kind of sandbox that it sets up (IE does not), firefox has options for installing security related extensions (i don't think IE has equivalents), and it is easier to disable plugns in either of them than it is in IE (although i think IE can disable plugins, or make them click-to-play thesedays where older versions couldn't, but it's harder to do than in FF or chrome) both of them provide a browser which isn't too closely built into the OS where IE is deeply linked in so if it gets compromised the whole system will surely follow, where with chrome and firefox if they get compromised there are still a few more barriers beween an attacker and full access to the operating system.

Edited by rp88, 25 December 2014 - 07:41 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 08:08 PM

Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7
System requirements and language support for Internet Explorer 11

But we are getting off topic.