Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Soooo Slooow ChromeBook 2

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:40 PM

Hi Everyone....

I hope I am posting in the right forum but if not ,I am confident that one of our fantastic mods will move this thread,,,,,,,I am under the impression that the Chrome OS is part of Linux? Anyway ,I purchased a little Samsung ChromeBook 2 & I love it,It is just perfect for my checking emails,google some things,access to BC & one other website,,,,thats it!!!!!

When I  first got my ChromeBook it was fast as lightning,it still starts up & shuts down in seconds flat but all of a sudden it takes forever to do anything ,loading is soooo slow,,,,,,,I have no apps and have not changed a thing,,,,,,,,any suggestions?Please remember I am not anywhere near the level you all are at,so if you can explain in very simple terms that would be great,,,,,

I do appreciate any suggestgions,advise or information anyone can offer,,,,,,my best to you all for a Happy Holiday & a great New Year!!!                                           Best Regards.Kwik

Edited by newbleeping, 21 December 2014 - 04:40 PM.

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:56 PM

Chromebooks use their own "Chrome OS" which is basically like any other Linux type distro with a lack of features. Depending on which manufacturer and model you went with depends on your performance. Different companies make different types of Chromebooks (Like Samsung, Toshiba, Lenovo, Dell) each with different specifications. Do you have a Make and Model number of the chromebook you have?

Gavin Seabrook

#3 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:24 PM

Hi gaviseabrook

Yes,I do,,,,,it is the Samsung 503C12-K01.....I went on the little"help" section in the menu & it said to clear the cookies & cache ...browsing data?   I did that & it helped a wee bit but it is nothing like it was when I first got it,,,,,,now I can get on to my websites quickly enough but posting replies & signing out just takes forever????                 Thank you for your response,any input you have is appreciated

Best Regards,Kwik

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:45 AM

Checked your specs on THIS website and it seems like everything is relatively powerful for a chromebook, except the storage capacity. It has on 16GB storage on it, so you may want to check what you have available in storage. Can you tell us how much free space you have on the device?

Gavin Seabrook

#5 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:20 AM

"how much free space you have on the device?"

to find this open a terminal and:

df -h /dev/sda{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}

Edited by bmike1, 24 December 2014 - 01:27 AM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#6 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:04 AM

You can also open a browser window and type:

chrome://quota-internals

Gavin Seabrook

#7 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 09:20 AM

Hmmm......um,it says 9.45GB(9,456,263,168 B)       is that the info you requested?

Oh also.....Wishing you a very Merry Christmas & Happiest of Holidays!!!!!!                       Best Regards,Kwik

#8 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 12:24 PM

Merry Christmas to you as well.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#9 Space_Cowby

Space_Cowby

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 04:39 AM

I would be tempted to power wash your chromebook

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/183084?hl=en-GB

This will bascially restore it to new. Log back in again, the only downside is you will loose any local data.

#10 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:00 AM

Thanks Cowby.......................

Such a pain to lose even the little stuff I have but probably well worth it............a friend told me that he did this & it was fantastic,fast as new but then in only less than 2 weeks it was back to the same thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I don't want to go through this constantly,is this the only way to address the issue?   You time & advice is very much appreciated                         Best Regards ,Kwik

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:56 AM

newbleeping

Just wondering,  Don't Chrome books sync most of your data in the cloud someplace?

If you must refresh the install

You can back files up to usb ( Stuff like music photos )

You can use something like xmarks to back up your bookmarks.

Or

Backup entire Google chrome settings by enabling sync.

#12 Space_Cowby

Space_Cowby

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:16 AM

newbleeping

Just wondering,  Don't Chrome books sync most of your data in the cloud someplace?

If you must refresh the install

You can back files up to usb ( Stuff like music photos )

You can use something like xmarks to back up your bookmarks.

Or

Backup entire Google chrome settings by enabling sync.

Depends where you save your data tbh, there is a 16g SDD in my mine so some data is local.

You really dont need to back up bookmarks, simply by logging onto your chromebook will pull down all your google chrome settings, apps, profile, bookmarks etc etc

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:24 AM

simply by logging onto your chromebook will pull down all your google chrome settings, apps, profile, bookmarks etc etc

So basically if NewBleeping  backs up her documents  photos etc, to usb,  Refreshes the Chrome book, Logs back in everything will be restored then all she has to do is restore the documents photos? or can they also be backed up to the cloud? and restored?

I do not own a chromebook as yet so I am also asking for when I get 1.

#14 Space_Cowby

Space_Cowby

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 09:27 AM

The files section aka my documents is basically

Google Drive & Downloads.

The downloads is on the SDD and the Google is in the cloud. 

I can drag and drop from downloads to Google and there is a little progress bar so you can see when it has been synced.

So in answer, yes drop everything into Google Drive and power wash Chromebook. 

The reason for it being slow is possibly a extension or a app you have installed, try removing them one at a time. Especially if you dont know some of them.

Happy to help further with chromebooks etc :)

#15 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:43 PM

Hey Guys!

I thought "the cloud "was optional,,,,,it has asked me a couple of times if I wanted to back up on cloud & I said "no,thank you''from the get go......I do not have any apps,never downloaded anything,,,,,,only a couple of songs in "my downloads".....my son is coming down in a day or 2,I am going to let him move my songs to my Win 7 Computer & then do the powerwash,I have 5 Bookmarks,that is it

Ugggh,I just have so little patience for slow loading since I have gotten used to a really fast computer    This time ,last year,I would not have even known it was slow..lol                     Thank you for all this info,I am truly grateful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users