Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Story Of A Man And A Mouse

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jakeratboy81

Jakeratboy81

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 12:17 PM

Hey all, 

I've gotten some great help on this site before, and I need your help again!

So, I built a new computer, it's a beast and I love it and every is great and except this one little thing... I've got Windows 8.1 running and it's not getting along with my mouse.

The cursor arrow jumps when I move it, like it skips ahead? It's like it's trying to guess where I'm gonna end up, and it's wrong about 50% of the time. It doesn't happen with every move, but enough to kind of drive me crazy. I cleaned out the mouse, switched out the batteries, still same issue. Then, I went ahead and bought a new mouse, the Logitech Performance MX, which is supposed to be famous for being a smooth glide on any surface (even though I use it on a mouse pad on a dark desk.) But I'm still having the same issue!

I've found previous articles about a mouse cursor error, but they list the error as occurring when people are typing, which is not my specific issue. Mine happens when I'm moving the mouse. Also that previous error seems to have been resolved in an update around a year past, and my Windows 8.1 is up to date. 

I'm not sure what could be causing the issue. The two mice I used are the Logitech M705 and the Logitech Performance MX that I mentioned before. Both are wireless, with one of those little USB dongles that you plug in to the back of the computer.

I'm just not sure what could be causing this, and didn't find any help on Logitech's or Microsoft's sites, so I'm turning to the experts. 

Thank you for any help you can give. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 12:59 PM

Check your operating system's mouse pointer settings in Control Panel and try lowering the speed under the Pointer Options tab. When set too fast, the mouse may jump all over the desktop at the slightest touch.
* Adjusting a Mouse in Windows 7
* How to Change the Mouse Sensitivity in Windows 7/8
* Change mouse settings in Windows 8
* How do I change mouse sensitivity (DPI) in Windows 8
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:09 PM

Catchy post title...... :hysterical:

#4 Jakeratboy81

Jakeratboy81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:22 AM

First, thanks quietman7 for the try and to KingdomSeeker for the compliment.

So, I think I figured out the answer, kinda, maybe, but I'm still confused about what it means, exactly? And I don't know how to FIX IT.

It looks like the error is caused by USB 3.0. Both the Logitech M705 and the Logitech Performance MX are wireless, and use a little wireless USB dongle that you plug into the computer. 

Previously, I'd been having the error when I plugged the dongle into my new computer's numerous USB 3.0 ports. When plugged into a regular 2.0 port, however, it ran fine. 

But it looks like even using USB 3.0 at all causes some sort of interference? I had my cell phone plugged into the USB 3.0 port, syncing some music, and the mouse WENT CRAZY, like it was trying to climb through mud.

I think the interference is somehow signal-based, because even though the USB 2.0 port I'm using for the dongle is on the back of the computer, and the USB 3.0 port I'm using for the cell phone is on the front, the error started when I activated the USB 3.0 option on my phone. Or perhaps it is just use-based?

Either way, this is unacceptable. I can't be afraid to use a USB 3.0 port just because it'll make my mouse stupid. 

What do ya'll suggest?

#5 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:19 PM

Have you tried to update your chipset drivers?

#6 Jakeratboy81

Jakeratboy81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:29 PM

....Maybe?

I have tried to update anything associated with the mouse, but it the computer states that everything is updated, so I'm not sure what I would get into beside that?

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,089 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:35 PM

You may want to contact Logitech and ask what they suggest. Chances are other folks have encountered this issue and they are probably already aware...and may have a solution.

#8 Jakeratboy81

Jakeratboy81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:58 PM

Welp, I did contact Logitech. This is actually a known issue that they acknowledge on their website. 

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/article/38032

They're sending me an "Extension Cord" that I plug my USB dongle into, hopefully getting it far enough away from the USB 3.0 port in use to keep from affecting the mouse, which I guess confirms the suspicion that this is an interference issue. I e-mail a pic of my receipt and they'll send it out to me.

It just seems strange that there's nothing more I can do on my end, nothing that can make this work. This issue seems so strange to me. This a new mouse, and it's not like USB 3.0 hasn't been around / on-the-horizon for a while now. 

Well, I guess at this point I wait around for the extension and hope with my fingers crossed that it does the job. 

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,089 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:48 PM

Well if it's interference I don't see else you could do on your end. At least there is an extension cord which will resolve the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users