Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Re-install OS on primary drive anymore =( please help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 soliddeus

soliddeus

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:36 AM

Alright so the full story is that my cousin downloaded the windows 10 preview on his laptop. Due to it being the preview, he was having issues with his network drivers. He attempted to downgrade back to windows 7, but was unsuccessful. He attempted to downgrade using a USB since he owns an ultra book and therefore no disc drive is present. He got the bright idea to just format the partition, but he ended up trying to format in FAT32 rather than NTFS. When i pointed out the difference, he interrupted the process and shut the computer off. At this point i stepped in to try and help him. I had to remove the hdd from the laptop and use another computer in order to use access the drive ( since the computer had no OS anymore ) and format it back to NTFS. After formatting the drive back and making it active, we attempted to use the usb stick to install the OS, but no BOOT MNGR was present. I went back to plugging the laptop hdd back to the other computer and putting the windows installation files directly on the hdd. Now with a boot mngr present i was able to access the windows 7 installation screen. At which point i attempted to install windows on the hdd. I keep getting the message "Windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computers hardware". I was able to install windows on the Recovery ssd which has 30gb's of space, once i did that, i could view the primary hdd through my computer and disk management. If i go and remove the windows 7 installation files from the primary hdd  i am unable to boot onto windows even though i have it installed on the recovery ssd. My question to you all is , what do i do in order to get windows 7 back to the primary hdd and get this system back to proper working order. 

The computer model is 4-1043cl

please help me out. I would also take this time to introduce myself , that way i can kill two birds with one post.

My name is Ethan McCoy

I am a gamer, console not pc lol 

and would like to say hello to everyone 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 haycg

haycg

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 12:06 PM

i searched and found your using an HP computer. The last Install DVD I ordered cost about $20.00 

Once I made a set and Installed Windows 7 on a new (blank) hard drive. The serial number if needed 

can be found by -- Start -- typing -- cmd -- type -- wmic bios get serialnumber -- not space for serialnumber.

Usually the Factory Reset DVD instructions to make are in All Programs.  > Look for Recovery manager -- again click Recovery manager.

Edited by haycg, 21 December 2014 - 12:26 PM.

#3 soliddeus

soliddeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:05 PM

I can't make one. All the original files pertaining to the system are gone. The OS on the recovery partition comes from a windows 7 iso I downloaded online

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:25 PM

I think what happened is that the BCD store is still on the HDD and not the SSD. If I was doing this again, I would wipe the 500GB hard drive by formatting NTFS again. Then reinstall Windows 7 on the SSD.

You do not have to remove the drives to format or wipe them. Use the bootable Partition Wizard and make a bootable USB with Rufus.

You may be able to get the SSD to boot without the HDD by using EasyBCD to edit the boot files. That would keep you from reinstalling Windows 7 on the SSD.

You can also do it by disconnecting the HDD drive and going and selecting Startup Repair. You may have to do this tree times before if finally works.

If that does not work, go to the command prompt of the install disk and type the following commands. See this page.

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

Personally, If possible I would start a new install on the SSD and the HDD disk with no partitions. You can use the delete all partitions with Partition Wizard

Edit: I wanted the boot drive to be SSD for faster boots but I think a 30GB drive will be too small. It would really be pushing the space requirements for Windows 7 64bit even if you pointed any software installs to the 500GB drive.

I believe your install problem on the main HDD was due to the need of mass storage drivers. You can download them here. For 64bit you would unzip this file f6flpy-x64.zip

and put them on a root of a USB flash drive. Press the Load Driver button when the Window appears at install. Make sure BIOS is set to AHCI and not RAID. You need to set BIOS to RAID to enable SSD caching. See below.

288882d1381254820-install-windows-system

Edit: Here is some good info on a 30GB SSD drive. I am not sure what HP was doing with this SSD and why it would be used as a Restore Drive.\

Edit Edit: I have found out what the 30GB SSD and 500GB drive is used for. It is set for SSD caching mode. Something new to me.

IRST (Intel Rapid Storage Technology)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248828/how_to_setup_intel_smart_response_ssd_caching_technology.html

Hp pdf on the subject.

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/technology-briefs/smart-response-technology-brief.pdf

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 December 2014 - 02:05 PM.

#5 soliddeus

soliddeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 02:40 PM

0__0 so which step should i conduct first .....? 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 02:57 PM

If you never have touched the BIOS then I believe it is still set to RAID. I would delete all partitions from both drives using the bootable partition wizard. Then when you install Windows 7, attach the USB with the unzipped RAID driver files as I posted. When you get to the above install window image select Load Drivers.

I have never done this but that is how I would proceed unless somebody on the Forum with more experience with this SSD caching can give their ideas.

Here is a guide from intel on the setup after the OS is installed.

The IRST software is the third item on the intel driver page. Install after you have downloaded and installed any needed drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users