Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony or Microsft -Let me know if my thinking is accurate

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:10 AM

I am a 40 year old 17-year technician but not a gamer. I have dabbled in the past with gaming with consoles I don't even remember the list of one..wait one just came to mind...Sega Saturn. Yeah that was what it was called. My latest console is the original Wii which is about 5 years old give or take and as much as I love the Mario games I miss good driving games.

Here's the the thing. I have played online gaming before, the only time I could hold my own is on Microsoft Motorcross Madness II because I was god enough to play against gamers. I tried Unreal Tournament and I had my buttox handed to me. So it's safe to say unless I am planning to play endless hours to get good enough to play kids and some adults that are masters of the games, I rather just play the game itself and not online.

Now you know about me.

My thought process is between Sony or Microsoft. I am leaning towards Sony because of the following thoughts.

If you plan to play online Microsoft is a slightly better choice, but if you are planning to mostly play on console Sony is the better way to go. 

Note I have no interest in playing online but that isn't to say I might not down the road.

Any input would be appreciated for I don't want to spend hours researching and deciding on this. 

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:29 AM

Whether you plan to play online or not, it is the same. Last I checked, xbox gold membership is required to play on XboxLive, as well as a PS+ membership for playing on Playstation network. 

So far, it looks like Microsoft has built a console for connecting users with services. Whereas Sony has built a console to connect users with other users. Personally, I prefer Sony's attitude towards their online component. They want gamers to find other gamers easily, which is still a problem even in PC gaming.

Microsoft have been trying for years to have a device on people's TV's that offers a great deal of services. Unfortunately, most of these services are paid for, not free. To me XBox One is just Windows Media Center - Part 2.

But that could all change. A lot of people (mostly PC gamers) think the console industry is dying. They're wrong. The console industry is changing drastically.

So far, PS3/4 is the favorite in the console industry, but you never know what could happen this coming year, I suspect big change.

#3 Ivy74

Ivy74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:05 PM

Would it make sense to buy online versus a store front? I ask for I am thinking from a warranty/repair stand-point. Would it make more sense to buy from a store front where if there is an issue they will take it, replace, repair, within a week. Thoughts?

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:26 PM

Warranty is done by the manufacturer. That would be Sony or Microsoft in this case.

If your Xbox One dies within, say, the first month, MS will repair it. Store's products tend to have warranties that are fresh, but online stores can have older products that have slightly depleted warranties. It depends on the manufacturer's policy. I know Dell has issues with Amazon where customers unknowingly buy a monitor that was a nearly dead warranty.

You only go to a third party store (like Best Buy I guess?) to get repairs once the official warranty does not cover or has been used. 

#5 Ivy74

Ivy74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:50 PM

I went to Target to analyze the boxe(s) and games. I am voting not to do it. 

Thanks for the input.

Feel free to lock this thread.

***Note***

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:56 PM

No console at all then? There is always gaming on the PC. Since you mentioned driving games there are a number of decent racing games for the PC. A lot more really interesting ones coming out too, which is great for me as Gran Turismo 6 is probably my last GT game. :(

#7 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:59 PM

theres a lot of difference if you buy online vs in store. The warranty covers both products for most times - 1 year. Once the warranty is still valid, you can be rest assured it will be fixed or exchanged at any store. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users