Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"rename" computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mrag

mrag

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:47 AM

A friend gave me an older Toshiba Win7 laptop that I am trying to clean up for my daughter to use. I've been to Control Panel > User and I've seen this BC Tutorial on "How to rename the built in admin." However, when I went to Computer > properties I found what appears in the attached screen shot to be an easier way to rename the computer and accomplish the same thing. I have NOT tried it yet as I am quite good at digging myself into deep holes and I cold be confusing two different things. I basically want to change the current computer name from say "JeffieJr" to "Sidney" so that we do not see JeffieJr anymore anywhere. Thank you for any guidance.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,005 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:57 AM

The method you show in the screenshot works fine.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:09 PM

Instead of cleaning up the computer, reinstall the Windows 7. This is the best course of action to take when one gets a used system.

At some point you will be given a chance to give the computer a name.

A clean install will allow your daughter to customize the computer without having the previous owners "stuff" on it.

#4 mrag

mrag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:52 PM

I should have mentioned I do not own a Win7 license and no system recovery disks or drive partition, if they even did come with the original purchase, have been found. I would have preferred to wipe the drive. My next option was Linux, but this laptop really saw minimal if unknown, use and Win 7 is such a "nice" system. Is there a system backup I might have missed?

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 02:03 PM

You can grab the current product key in use on the system using ProduKey. By NirSoft. Then, you can download one of the official Windows 7 .iso released by Microsoft here (the one that matches your current one):

http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

And proceed to create an installation media with it and reinstall Windows.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 mrag

mrag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:58 AM

Thanks to all, information much appreciated. Some perhaps dumb followup points/questions:

1) The most current iso downloads are now apparently here (on a later post as noted)

2) Is it best to download to the pc it will be used on or doesn't it matter? (drivers?)

3) There is mention of a "30 day trial" but when does that start, on download, on install? Example, can I make a DVD now and use it next June?

4) A 4GB (or larger) flash drive (with the proper boot order in the BIOS) would work better than a DVD? (see tool here)

Please forgive my notation links. The idea of starting fresh on a used system makes the most sense. So when I go looking for this thread again next year, it'll be easier on the brain.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,875 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:57 AM

FWIW:  Any trial software...the clock starts ticking once it is installed, not before.

Louis

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:12 PM

Addressing your questions one by one :)
  • You can safely use the .iso straight from the link I gave you, they are all working and I used them many times in the past, and so did thousands of other people :)
  • The download host doesn't matter as you're just preparing the installation media, not installing Windows 7 yet;
  • hamluis already took care of that question I see :wink:
  • Using a USB or a DVD doesn't matter. Personally, I find it easier to use USBs when installing Windows, but that's just me. Any of them will do;
You can let me know of any more questions you have on this procedure :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 mrag

mrag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:23 PM

My plan is to reinstall Windows, but I am still curious about changing 'names.' As per the attached screen shot, I still have a user name I would like to change. How to do that without an entire re-install? Many thanks. userNames.jpg

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:46 PM

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/user-account-name-change

Although it says for Windows 8 this will also work in Win 7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users