Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the best way to backup installed device drivers for use of fresh Windows

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 1gouravgg

1gouravgg

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:14 AM

What is the best and trusted way to backup installed 3rd party device drivers (and software too, I guess its possible) so that I can reinstall them on a fresh windows installation?

Edited by 1gouravgg, 21 December 2014 - 09:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,838 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:28 AM

Personally, I would create a disk image on an external hard drive using somthing like Macrium Free. Make sure you create a WinPE bootable disk using the program and make sure it boots. On a Windows 8 computer you will need to disable SecureBoot before you can boot a CD/DVD.

If you needed to take it back to the fresh install state, you would boot the WinPE disk and restore the image to the drive. Even if your drive failed, you could put a new drive in, boot the WinPE disk and recover the image. You would be back in minutes instead of hours.

#3 1gouravgg

1gouravgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:45 AM

Personally, I would create a disk image on an external hard drive using somthing like Macrium Free. Make sure you create a WinPE bootable disk using the program and make sure it boots. On a Windows 8 computer you will need to disable SecureBoot before you can boot a CD/DVD.

If you needed to take it back to the fresh install state, you would boot the WinPE disk and restore the image to the drive. Even if your drive failed, you could put a new drive in, boot the WinPE disk and recover the image. You would be back in minutes instead of hours.

how Macrium Free is different from image backup tool comes with windows? both does the same job, and is there somehow a way to save at least the all current settings of installed environment and of softwares?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,838 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:05 AM

If you have Windows 8 then you can do the same thing by creating a system image. If you have 8.1 I am not familiar with that OS. There is still a question if the recovery USB disk can restore an image.

With Macrium and Windows 8 you create the system or disk image of the clean install. This would save all current settings of the environment and software. You can create disk images at any time and recover whichever disk image you created, including the one you created after a clean install. Disk images in Macrium are easier to manage as a new name is given to each image taken. If you only plan on taking one image, the one after a clean  install, then Windows system image should work fine. Macrium does not back up files and folders. It will create an image of the whole drive and put it in one file. Windows system image uses multiple files in single folder.

#5 1gouravgg

1gouravgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:13 AM

If you have Windows 8 then you can do the same thing by creating a system image. If you have 8.1 I am not familiar with that OS. There is still a question if the recovery USB disk can restore an image.

With Macrium and Windows 8 you create the system or disk image of the clean install. This would save all current settings of the environment and software. You can create disk images at any time and recover whichever disk image you created, including the one you created after a clean install. Disk images in Macrium are easier to manage as a new name is given to each image taken. If you only plan on taking one image, the one after a clean  install, then Windows system image should work fine. Macrium does not back up files and folders. It will create an image of the whole drive and put it in one file. Windows system image uses multiple files in single folder.

thank you for the detailed explanation. well,my system is partially corrupted so a image backup will not be a good way to go but for future refrence it's great.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,838 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:17 AM

Yes, if you system is partially corrupted it will not work. You can do what Microsoft calls a Refresh. This is supposed to keep your important files but I would back those up anyway. The problem with refresh is that any programs you installed would need to be reinstalled.

http://www.howtogeek.com/132428/everything-you-need-to-know-about-refreshing-and-resetting-your-windows-8-pc/

#7 1gouravgg

1gouravgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:23 AM

Yes, if you system is partially corrupted it will not work. You can do what Microsoft calls a Refresh. This is supposed to keep your important files but I would back those up anyway. The problem with refresh is that any programs you installed would need to be reinstalled.

http://www.howtogeek.com/132428/everything-you-need-to-know-about-refreshing-and-resetting-your-windows-8-pc/

that'll work. thanks. any Idea on how can i save/backup current system settings and software's setting?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,838 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:41 AM

I do not know of any software that would just backup up your settings and software settings, sorry.

#9 lucyfranklin

lucyfranklin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:02 AM

you can refresh though it will be hectic to install each and every program one by one. However, you can try Driver genius software that would just backup your currently playing drivers in a .zip file, and is an independent auto installer program. And you don't even need to install them one by one on a fresh window installation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users